Smart Editor Copy Feature Generalise Polygon

09-03-2019 07:00 PM
LenOlyott1
New Contributor III

I have a workflow where I want web editors to select fairly complex polygons (regional ecosystems) and paste them into a different feature layer. What happens is that the selected polygons seem to lose vertices even in the highlighted selection on screen and then the pasted features are very generalised. At first I thought this was the number of features so I went down to only selecting a few. I also tried zooming in to a single feature with multiple features selected but this was inconsistent with some geometry being maintained and others becoming generalised. The regional ecosystem layer is hosted in ArcGIS Online as is the feature layer I am copying to. I have optimised both layers and rebuilt the spatial index.

It does seem that if I zoom to maximum zoom scale and select that I get a better geometry match.

Is there something in the select component of Smart Editor that is simplifying the geometry and how could I fix this?

thanks

Len

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

@LenOlyott1 This issue should be resolved in ArcGIS Online in the next coming update.

0 Kudos
HGwilt
by
New Contributor

Hi @AlixVezina - did this issue get resolved? One of my conservation customers in the UK has had the same problem recently with the smart editor widget in Web AppBuilder not copying all of the vertices of a polygon. Any update appreciated - thank you. 

0 Kudos
GillBunting
New Contributor

Hi @AlixVezina - I'm the conservation customer @HGwilt  refers to above.  Just to second that the urgency of getting this resolved for us. The copy and paste between layers operation is central to a workflow we've been developing apps to facilitate.  Users want to be able to copy their features into our central dataset.  The generalization that's currently happening means we may have to reevaluate the feasibility of implementing this.  

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

@HGwilt @GillBunting This issue was resolved, but please let me know as soon as possible if you still experience it from your end.

0 Kudos
GillBunting
New Contributor

Thanks @AlixVezina we have experienced this within the last two weeks and only identified where the generalization was happening last week.  CC @HGwilt 

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

@GillBunting @HGwilt If possible, please provide more information about your source and target layers. Are you copying from a lines or a polygons layer? Is the source a hosted feature layer - what's the type and where is it hosted? How many features are you copying? How complex are these features? 

You can send any helpful information directly to my email avezina@esri.com. If you are able to share your application that would be the best.

(Also please specify if you are on ArcGIS Online or which version of Portal)

Thank you!

0 Kudos