Situational Awareness widget - How does it summarize data from polygons in the underlying feature services?

08-18-2018 09:15 AM
EricKlein1
New Contributor II

Situational Awareness widget - How does it summarize data from polygons in the underlying feature services?  For example, when summarizing demographic data from an underlying layer of census block group polygons, does it summarize data from every census block intersected by the incident area?  summarize only if the census block centroid is within the incident area? prorate data based on percentage of the census block area contained within the incident area?  Thanks!  

3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Great question. Should definitely be documented.

Also I wish it could summarize several fields for one layer. I tried doing summary, average, min and max for Sales Price in a Parcel polygon layer. It has a bug, where it can not do more than one field for a layer. It simply sets them all to the first one, whether it was sum, average, or minimum, etc. Same for the Label. field, it repeats the first text string for all of them upon clicking OK. At least, that is what happened for me and Tech Support in repro. I got a tracking # BUG-000116103.  Hopefully resolved in WAB 3.0.  And remove Incident Widget if that is the older version. 

0 Kudos
EricKlein1
New Contributor II

Thanks, Kevin.  Based on some further experimentation, it appears that it's just aggregating numbers from any intersecting feature.  For example, if the incident area includes just a tiny corner of a given underlying census block group, it will include stats for that entire block group in the summarization.  Not particularly useful unless the incident area is much larger than the underlying features being summarized.  Also, summarization types like "average" (which I assume is unweighted) aren't particularly useful for summarizing underlying data elements that are already averages or rates.  A weighted summarization, like used in geoenrichment, would be ideal; however we don't allow the majority of our users to access analysis or geoenrichment tools so I was hoping for a more-accessible approach.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Eric, that is understandable. And thank you for documenting how it works geomatically for us all. Hopefully this wording will find its way into the Docs. For property sales prices summary that is actually exactly what I think realtors etc would like though, to summarize any property even if part of it is in the area. Like an intersection. At least that is my thought. I have now wired the bar chart widgets to Robert's eSearch widget to get a sense of average, min and max sales prices. Works nicely. I am still experimenting with various ways to have a 'property analysis' type of data visualization....  my test staging site... ArcGIS Web Application  

0 Kudos