Simple layer animation - Alter existing Dev Edition WAB code or create new widget?

04-16-2021 12:30 PM
JAOBrien
New Contributor

Hello, I have a client that wants a layer in a Developer Edition WAB application to 'flash' or 'blink'. I think I've found the references in the JS API docs that I will need, but I'm wondering if it would be better to modify the existing WAB code somewhere, or should I build a new widget to keep the code isolated? If I did modify existing code, where would be the best place to insert my method?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MachielVan
New Contributor III

The code for applications such as Web Apps and Dashboards is stored in JSON format and can be accessed via the ArcGIS Online Assistant (https://ago-assistant.esri.com/, click the "I want to..." drop down and select "View an Item's JSON"). I recommend using NotePad++ for editing, then pasting the code back into the AGO Assistant. You'll receive a warning notification when you enable editing. 

If you add an additional widget, it will just get added to the JSON anyway, so I recommend editing the existing widget in the JSON. Make sure to paste a copy of the existing JSON into a different NotePad++ tab in case you break it! 😉 

Good luck! I've edited JSONs and REST definitions heavily, and found it to be a direct route to all sorts of solutions. 

0 Kudos
JAOBrien
New Contributor

I'm sorry, I should have specified that I'm using the Developer Edition version of WAB. I can edit the source, but it's tough to understand. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

0 Kudos