Scale setting widget

11-12-2018 04:39 AM
SimonCrutchley
Occasional Contributor III

Is there a widget in Web App Builder to allow you to set a fixed scale at which a map appears? Ideally you could enter the scale, but if not a pick list would do?

Ta

Simon

Tags (1)
24 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would love to see this as well, and it would be nice to be able to create a list of scales and also let users pick their own absolute scale. Also it would be good to display scale ie 1:2,000 above the scale bar, as an option. Last, allow the display to have text with units the developers choose, like 1 inch = 100 feet. This has long been a user question and for now I have to show them how to go to Print, then Advanced, then click 'current' by Scale. Thus it would be helpful if scale was intuitive and discoverable.

0 Kudos
SimonCrutchley

Good to see others would like it; a pity it's not been picked up yet. I suspect my request is slightly different to yours, as it's not just printing at a set scale, but actually viewing. Within our team we're used to viewing our mapped data at set scales, so you can instantly orientate yourself to relative feature sizes etc. Hence we like to know that this view is 1:20,000 not 1:10,000.

0 Kudos
RichBell
Occasional Contributor

Mahoning County solved this issue for our cadastral team using an RF scale and the set scale LODS in the main config file. Look under the title, as a user scrolls with the mouse the true scale changes and this enables the print function to print to a set scale for output.

Hope this helps.

Rich

0 Kudos
SimonCrutchley

Hi Rich. Thanks for that, but I'm a bit of a newbie; RF scale and LODS?

0 Kudos
SimonCrutchley

Hi Rich,

So how did you get the scale to appear, as that in itself would be useful? I know how to add a scale bar, but not to display the scale.

Ta

Simon

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Having a widget for zoom to scale would be pretty simple. The issue is that when working with a Cached basemap you are confined to the cache LODs (levels of display. Scales that the map service was cached at). So If I were to develop a widget for this then most of the time you would not get an option to type the scale you desire because you would only be able to zoom to those pre-determined LODs (scales). So as a developer I would present a dropdown with those scales matching the LODs. In the rare circumstance that the app does not use a basemap then there could be a text input that the user could type any scale into (as that would now be possible).

SimonCrutchley

Sorry, but i'm still confused. By the map service, do you mean the basemap that is being used or the map created with all the layers etc? If the former I guess we're stumped as we can't control it; if the later can you do something in the map?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Simon,

The basemap that is used (which is normally just a cached map service) sets the maps LODs, which constrains the maps scales that are available to be zoomed to.

SimonCrutchley

Thanks for the clarification. I've been speaking to a colleague who thinks that we use a bespoke map base, so might be able to control it. I'll look into this further and, if it is possible, will come back to look at the possibility of a widget.

0 Kudos