On the Fly Calculations

11-29-2021 08:26 AM
Labels (1)
NatalieRobbins
New Contributor III

I am thinking I can't be the first person interested in this functionality and wonder if anyone has come up with a good work around. 

I have a stakeholder that would like to be able to sum together multiple fields to compare amounts on a feature by feature basis. So for example, they want to know how many apple, oranges and bananas are sold at each store. Or maybe want to know just apples and oranges. It would be sort of an iterative question. 

So far the best solution I can determine is creating an attribute field for this with arcade, however there are many (30-40) amounts they are interested in, so it would be great if they could temporarily calculate this (as sort of an extended Sum widget. Any suggestions appreciated. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Personally, I'd suggest using a Dashboard for this sort of thing. You wouldn't need any additional fields, just well-defined filters and actions. For instance, a button bar of the different fruit types could filter a "sum" indicator for only selected types.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
NatalieRobbins
New Contributor III

So, essentially in the Experience, they could select multiple buttons and then it would show a sum. Could it show the sum for each store? 

This is a great suggestion-- I hadnt thought about it!

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Of course! You can have an indicator that will filter based on store selection as well. There's a lot you can do with Dashboards, especially with some of the recent updates they've made to the tool. You could have:

• A list of stores
  • A sum indicator
  • A button bar of produce types

Choosing a store from the list could filter the indicator, just like the choice of fruit in the button bar. You can even have charts, where clicking a category in the chart can filter your other items as well.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos