Need Help Serving Dynamic Data via WAB App

09-26-2019 10:37 AM
Franklin_CountyGIS_Department
New Contributor

I am building a viewer with Web App Builder. I would like to serve a layer that pulls data from a feature class in our SDE that's joined to a table in SQL Server. Quite simply, I'd like users to have access to a more dynamic data experience. 

So I tried the following:

- I published a new REST service...no problem.

- I added that service to my organization's AGOL content...no problem. 

- I added it to an existing Web Map that WAB is consuming...problem.

Of course, now that new layer bombs out when I refresh my WAB application. So I tried to create a simple Web App template in AGOL. That little viewer didn't have an issue with the layer. In looking into it, I'm seeing that WAB apparently doesn't like to consume REST services.  

The challenge for me is that I need WAB to be able to consume the layer that the AGOL template can consume, or I would need the AGOL template to have all the functionality that WAB affords me. At the end of the day, if there's a better way to approach all of this for someone like me - who's not a programmer, but decent at figuring out configs - I'm game to try it. I just thought I'd ask first. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Have you tried to create a NEW web map and then point your WAB app to that web map?

0 Kudos
EricSchmidt
New Contributor

Thanks, Robert, but even trying that did not seem to work. I've also tried to publish the REST service in Web Mercator, and that doesn't seem to help either. I guess I'm just unclear as to why a REST service will work with an AGOL template, but apparently not with WAB. 

The error just tells me that the layer "...cannot be added to the map," which isn't really helpful for figuring out why and/or where to go from here.  

Is there some other best practice work-around to provide pseudo-dynamic access to data via a WAB application, or am I just missing something here entirely? 

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
EricSchmidt
New Contributor

Oh, and sorry for any confusion, but I wrote the original post while logged on to our org account. This morning's reply was as myself...so the man behind the curtain is now exposed.  Ha!

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Eric,

Sounds like a permissions issue, but it had to tell based on that error. Best bet is to call esri tech support.

0 Kudos
EricSchmidt
New Contributor

Robert,

Will do. And thanks!

0 Kudos