My Location Widget - Mobile Windows Tablets

06-15-2017 01:37 PM
JeffTruscott
New Contributor

Hello,

I've enabled the 'My Location Widget' in a web app via Portal / Web app builder.  Clients connect to the Portal app through a VPN on mobile tablets.  The mobile tablets run Windows 7, so the apps default to running in the Windows browser on the table, IE 11).  Changing OS / browser is not an option as they are organizational standards. The tablets have GPS on board, however, the widget defaults to using HTML geolocation instead of accessing the onboard GPS.  This results in placing the user location in another part of the country where the VPN IP connection is registered.  Is there an alternate method to take advantage of onboard GPS on a Windows-based mobile tablet?  The intent is simply to show the user location while they use the device to provide context against app content.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have,

Jeff   

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jeff,

The WAB location widget will use the GPS on the tablet if the browser is aware that the device has a GPS so sometime this requires a third party software that makes the GPS data available to the browser (i.e Garmin communcator, GPSGate, etc) and sometimes it is as simple as the geolocation setting has been disabled in the browsers settings for that site.

JeffTruscott
New Contributor

Thanks for taking the time to comment Robert, I'll look into your suggestions and see if I can get the browser to recognize the device.

Cheers, Jeff

0 Kudos