Login (Optional Feature) on Web Application

Jump to solution
04-28-2016 12:23 PM
BrianCollins
Occasional Contributor

I'm hosting a application, built with WAB, on an external facing web server. The application utilizes an AGOL web map that is shared to Everyone and contains numerous publicly available and unsecured web service layers. What I would like to do is add in some secured web services, which would be hosted on my own ArcGIS Server, and have an option for the end user to login and display the secured content; HOWEVER, I don't want the initial load of the web app to display the login dialogue. I'd rather it be an option that a user invokes.

Below are some details of my architecture/configuration:

• Application hosted on external-facing web server, which is also my ArcGIS Server Web Adaptor
  • Internal ArcGIS Server, available through web adaptor server mentioned above. Services secured via AD users and/or security groups.
  • AGOL subscription configured with federated login access to our Active Directory.

How do I deploy this scenario?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Brian,

Your problem is going to be that when you add the secured layer then automatically on startup the user will be challenged for a username and password. the only way you will not be challenged is is the layer is not loaded into the web map at the start. You can use the AddLayer Widget to add predefined layers at runtime.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Brian,

Your problem is going to be that when you add the secured layer then automatically on startup the user will be challenged for a username and password. the only way you will not be challenged is is the layer is not loaded into the web map at the start. You can use the AddLayer Widget to add predefined layers at runtime.

BrianCollins
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Robert Scheitlin, GISP...I think I may just end up maintaining a second application, registered with AGOL OAuth, and add the secured services to that one. I'd prefer that public users not be able to see the secured layers at all, which they presumably could if I use the AddLayer Widget. I think I'll just go old school and add a link to launch the secured application on its own.

swoiak
by
New Contributor III

I have a similar situation, in that I have a publicly viewable app and would like to have some layers viewable only by some. I would prefer that all users are not challenged with a log in screen. Also, our organization uses federated log-ins, and the log-in screen that comes up for these layers cannot take federated log ins. Also, I tried the "Add Data" widget, but it does not "see" the secured layers in the curated group, so they can't be added.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Sandy,

Sorry. You are in a tough spot. I am not sure what to do in your situation.

0 Kudos