Layer list in the web app is empty.

Jump to solution
07-18-2016 12:42 PM
GagagDa_Morvi
New Contributor

I have built an app using Web App Builder. It has a Map which has a map layer that is served by a map service by ArcGIS Server. All these components are local on my computer including the Portal and ArcGIS Server. Everything works well on my computer. However others are only able to see the basemap when they connect to my app but not the layer data itself. All the resources including the Map, App etc. are shared with everyone. What is going wrong here - seems I am obviously missing something? Can someone please help me - this is really frustrating. Thank you!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Gagag,

> I am able to access this ArcGIS Service from ArcMap without any problems. The ArcMap gives the usual complain about the security certificate - but I can add the layer to the map and can query it. It all works perfect.

This is likely because you probably already signed into ArcGIS Server in ArcMap (e.g., you opened a connection to Server from ArcMap to add the service).

> While working in the Portal, when I create a Map and add this service as a layer to it, it only shows up in the map if I have logged into the ArcGIS Server manager in the same browser. If I log out of the ArcGIS Server Manager, the layer doesn't render in the map in Portal.

This behavior suggests that your issue is an authentication problem. When you've already signed into ArcGIS Server in the web browser you can access the service, but when you haven't then Portal can't see it.

FYI, ArcGIS Server and Portal for ArcGIS both have separate security models (unless you federate your Server site with Portal, and it sounds like you did not; also Server 10.1 does not support federation). For some background watch this UC tech session,

ArcGIS Server and Portal for ArcGIS: An Introduction to Security | Esri Video

Instead of adding the web services to the Portal map viewer directly, can you please add the web services a new Portal items, follow the help:

Add items—Portal for ArcGIS (10.4.1) | ArcGIS for Server

(see Add items from the web section)

When you add the item, you will be asked to save credentials with the item. Save the credentials with the item.

Then, in the Portal map viewer add the web services as Portal items, instead of adding the service directly - in this way, you'll also add and save the credentials for the web services to the web map.

Hope this helps,

GagagDa_Morvi
New Contributor

Hi Derek - thanks for all the help and pointers. They have been very helpful in investigating this issue. I had tried everything that you suggest in your last post but hadn't helped. I finally investigated by opening up firewall - and that made the layer appear on map. A bit more digging and I found that port 6080 was not letting the traffic through. I opened up that port by defining inbound rule and turned off the firewall. I wonder why the ArcGIS Server installation didn't configure the firewall. Anyways now everything is working as expected. Thanks again for your help!

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Gagag,

Having an EDN license should not cause the behavior you're seeing. I suspect it's a deployment/security/authentication issue.

Hope this helps,

TiffanySelvidge1
Occasional Contributor III

Have you checked with http://servername.orgname/arcgis/manager/ page and looked at the layers' sharing properties to confirm the share request actually went through?

I ask because that has happened to me a few times. I shared the layers in Portal but no one else could see the layers. When I went to the arcgis manager page the layers did not show as 'shared'. I had to assign the sharing properties from the arcgis manager page.

GagagDa_Morvi
New Contributor

Hi Tiffany,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have made sure that the Service is shared with everyone from ArcGIS Server Manager.

0 Kudos