How to read downloaded webapp for offline use

03-10-2020 12:13 PM
CélineRoman1
New Contributor II

I'm building an app with the Web AppBuilder of ArcGIS Online. I heard it would be possible to download the app so that it could be used offline or deployed on another server. In my case, i would just need to be able to use it offline. I managed to download the app which gave me a zip folder but once it's done i have no idea what to do with all these files to be able to visualize the app. I have very basic notions of HTML/CSS only. I opened the index.html file but i receive this error message: "Unable to load config.json?wab_dv=2.15 status: 0" Does anyone have any leads to share?

enter image description here

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Céline,

Sorry, you were misinformed. Though you can download WAB apps and deploy them to another server, they can not be used in an offline environment. What you may have been told is that it can be used in a Intranet environment when accessing the web map and gis data from a on premise Portal on a network that does not have internet access.

0 Kudos
CélineRoman1
New Contributor II

Hi Robert, thanks a lot for your answer! I guess it's what i heard indeed but i'm not sure i actually understand the difference between a network that does not have internet access and "offline"...? Maybe i used the wrong word but what i meant by "offline" was indeed "without having internet access" .

Any idea how to "open" the app once it's downloaded? I understood the problem might come from my .json file not being loaded properly.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Céline,

If you are not deploying your app to an on premise Portal The it will not work without having internet access. Getting a WAB app to work in an on premise Portal environment that does not have internet access is also a lot of work to setup. So unless you have ArcGIS Enterprise Portal on your end then there is no reason to spend any more time on this as WAB is specifically designed to be an online solution.  

0 Kudos
CélineRoman1
New Contributor II

I built the app from an ArcGIS Enterprise Portal indeed and the thing is that we need to be able to access this app "offline" as we are working in Niger, in an environment where internet access isn't guaranteed...

0 Kudos
CélineRoman1
New Contributor II

Thanks a lot, i'll have a look!

I don't really understand why it's not straightforward though, i thought it would be as easy as clicking on the index.html file to visualize everything without having to "deploy".

Is it because of the base maps of the web app that are by default hosted online? I'm asking because maybe the base maps aren't that necessary for my offline use.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Céline Roman‌,

Another resource you may want to take a look it is Deploy your app—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers . This covers what to do with the files you've got there, with the first task being to copy the files onto a web server (eg. Microsoft IIS) either on your computer, or within your internal network. The trouble with just clicking the index.html is that the web browser is not going to be able to load all the components of the web app directly off the file system. While just clicking the index.html can work for relatively simple pages, for something with as many moving parts as a WebAppBuilder app we really need to put all the components into a web server for the web browser to load them correctly. 

0 Kudos