Has anyone figured out the best way to include End User Help documentation?

02-24-2016 01:11 PM
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III

I'm trying to develop user help files. It would be NICE if I could include them in a widget, or not have to leave the Mapplication to display this information. Surely someone has developed something or there is a recommended process for this? Or am I the first? lol

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JunshanLiu

If you want to show help in widget run time, you can just put your document in your widget and show the help link in your widget. But if you want to show help in widget setting page, there is no easy way for the current released versions. We'll make this more easy in the next release.

BrianO_keefe

I'm looking for a way to offer on-screen help for the users of the map. Where I can present simplified solutions for end users scenarios. We just released a Neighborhood Association map and I'm expecting there to be issues with users not understanding how to intuitively navigate the eSearch widget. So providing a simple help file would be perfection.

0 Kudos
LarryStout1
New Contributor II

Haven't worked on this in nearly a year because I left the county, but I think I had a decent help widget here:  http://gis.hamiltoncounty.in.gov/mapviewer/.  This is a 1.1 version.  My favorite part is you can open a widget from the Help by clicking on the icon.

BrianO_keefe

Larry Stout​, that looks perfect! Any chance you have it available for download?

0 Kudos
LarryStout1
New Contributor II

Brian,

I never got it posted on Larrys Custom WAB Widgets and More as a single widget, but it is included in the entire app (Web AppBuilder Application) on that page.  I think there are some docs for it also.  Sorry about it being so old.

Larry

MegHoole2
New Contributor III

Larry... really impressive work on the custom widgets.  I'm just getting started.  thx for sharing.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Meg...since you are just getting started, make sure to check out Web AppBuilder Developer Edition - Customization Resource List​  for Larry's, Robert's and many other custom widgets and info for the WAB developer edition.   Also, keep in mind WAB 2.0 should be out soon.....just an fyi.