Grouping layers in the layer list widget

Jump to solution
11-26-2014 12:38 AM
PabloIzquierdo1
New Contributor III

Is there any way to group layers by categories in the layer list widget?

In this previous conversation, I found a map (http://maps.cityoftulsa.org/iot/) with exactly the kind of layer list that we are looking for. But I have the feeling that this is only possible if we publish the mxd with ArcGIS for Server.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Pablo,

You are correct. The only reason that those layers are grouped is because they are done so in the Map Service. There is no OTB grouping capability in the Layer List Widget.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Pablo,

You are correct. The only reason that those layers are grouped is because they are done so in the Map Service. There is no OTB grouping capability in the Layer List Widget.

ShannonGrumbly2
New Contributor III

Hi Robert,

Will the layers be grouped in a Map Service (and thus an ArcGIS Online web application) via a Feature Dataset or by simply grouping them in the Table of Contents?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Just grouping in the TOC.

ShannonGrumbly2
New Contributor III

Perfect, thank you!

0 Kudos
GeraldLee_
New Contributor III

Hey Robert,

Do you know of any way to group Image Services inside the layerlist widget or web map?  

Thanks

Gerald

(Hope to see you at Dev Summit again this year-

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Gerald,

I don't use image server but if you group the layers in ArcMap then the LayerList will have them grouped.

(yep, see you at the Dev Summit)

0 Kudos
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III

That's how I set up that map. I think you can do this from Catalog too, by publishing the data directly to ArcGIS for Server but I'm not 100% certain on that.

PabloIzquierdo1
New Contributor III

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help

0 Kudos