Go to XY widget in Web App Builder

10-30-2015 07:16 AM
ClarkLangridge
Occasional Contributor II

Why is there no Go To XY widget included in the set for Web App Builder?  Most of our staff work in the back country where there is no civic address (or in some cases, even a road).  When they get back to the office, the only way to figure out where they were is to hover the mouse over the map and move it around until the display coordinates match what they recorded on their handheld GPS.

12 Replies
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

Clark,

You can zoom/center a map in a Web AppBuilder application using x,y coordinates.. Just add &center=x,y to the end of the URL for the application.

Use URL parameters—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

You can also enter an X,Y coordinate pair into the Find address or place search box to do the same as above.

And another option, use the GeoLookup widget (currently in Beta) to drag a CSV containing the lat/long onto the application and plot the points.

GeoLookup widget—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

Kyle

0 Kudos
ClarkLangridge

So I either have to explain to my (very) non-technical users how to modify a url in this very particular way or how to create a .CSV file and import it in to the app?

OR ESRI could include a commonly used tool in GIS in their web app builder widgets (and I've had ESRI technical support people say the same thing).  I know which solution I prefer.

ClarkLangridge

And I am probably just being snippy about this, but I find it immensely frustrating that people have to find these sorts of work-arounds for something that should be common sense.

KyleBalke__GISP

What about the option to enter the X,Y in the Find address or place?  That seems to be the easiest solution given your description of the technical acumen of your users  It is also likely much faster the poking around on the map to find their location.

0 Kudos
ClarkLangridge

We tried that: doesn't work.

No Location.jpg

Tried every variation I know of how to feed in a lat and long, with similar results.

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP

Longitude first (x coordinate value) then a comma and then the latitude (y coordinate value).  I used your coordinate pair following that standard and it worked (see the image).

search_xy_web_appbuilder.jpg

ClarkLangridge

No_Position.jpg

Doesn't work for me.  How is your  service set up.

Plus, your result seems to be suggesting that it wants lat and long, not long and lat.

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP

Try refreshing your browser and then try it again.

0 Kudos
JackZHANG

Search Lon,Lat in the search widget works, but make sure you have a Geocoder like ESRI World Geocoder enabled. 

0 Kudos