Enhanced Bookmark Widget Inquiry

Jump to solution
03-20-2017 11:44 AM
deleted-user-iwYtitJHBIyn
New Contributor II

Robert,

I downloaded and installed your Enhanced Bookmark widget.  Great tool!

Am correct in understanding that the user will not be able to create their own folders but the user can create bookmarks (of course) and place them in pre-configured folders that were created by the WAB developer?  Is that correct?

Thanks.

Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jeff,

When you create an app and configure it and then deploy it to the web server and the user adds bookmarks that data is saved locally on the client as html 5 storage data or a cookie. For you as the developer to add an additional folder you would have to re-deploy the app (or at least the widgets config file) to the web server. But yes in that case the users added bookmarks will be lost when the new eBookmark_config.json is used.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jeff,

Yes that is correct the user at runtime can only create new bookmarks not folders.

0 Kudos
New Contributor II

Robert,

I see.  I've also noticed that if I create the folders, add bookmarks to the folders, and then decide to add another folder to the group that all the bookmarks I previously created are gone but all the folders remain.  Is that correct?

Jeff

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jeff,

I've also noticed that if I create the folders, add bookmarks to the folders, and then decide to add another folder to the group that all the bookmarks I previously created are gone but all the folders remain.  Is that correct?

No I don't see that behavior. When I have a folder that already has bookmarks in it and I select/highlight that folder and click "Add Folder" a new folder gets added to the selected folder and all the existing bookmarks in the selected folder remain unchanged.

0 Kudos
New Contributor II

I created three folders.  Within WAB Developers edition I hit Launch and pretend I am a user.  I create some bookmarks that align with the developed folder tree.  I close the tab and exit Launch.  I go in to the BookMark Configure App and add another folder as a developer.  I go back out and Launch to participate as a user again and all the bookmarks I have saved are gone.  Can you see if this happens to you?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jeff,

When you create an app and configure it and then deploy it to the web server and the user adds bookmarks that data is saved locally on the client as html 5 storage data or a cookie. For you as the developer to add an additional folder you would have to re-deploy the app (or at least the widgets config file) to the web server. But yes in that case the users added bookmarks will be lost when the new eBookmark_config.json is used.

New Contributor II

Okay.  That's all I needed to know.  Thanks for your guidance and for creating such a valuable widget.

Jeff

0 Kudos