Display other data from table

02-03-2022 07:44 AM
GISWisDom
New Contributor II

Hi everyone, first time poster here with what may well turn out to be a stupid question.

I am wondering if it is even possible to be able to map other variables from the one layer in a webapp?

To explain... I have census data, and in AGOL I have mapped and symbolised, for example all those 18 and over in a given area. If I then build a webapp with this layer. Is there a way I can query the data within the app to display (also in a choropleth) all those under 18 in a given area, or would I have to add the layer and symbolise it a second time.

The specifics of my project is that I have 122 fields with the table for this layer, all of which I would like to be map-able on the app, without of course having to add the layer to a webmap and set all the configurations 122 times.

Thanks a million in advance.
Dom

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BryndaHatch
Esri Contributor

Dom,

I'm not sure what your vision is for your end product, but have you checked out Business Analyst?  It makes viewing census data super easy.  https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/arcgis-business-analyst/overview

Hope that helps.

Brynda

0 Kudos
GISWisDom
New Contributor II

Hi Brynda,

Thanks for coming back to me. Unfortunately, my institution doesn't use Business Analyst and although I don't know a lot about it, I suspect for this project it is not suitable?

What I need to output is a webapplication which can view and map all 122 variables in a table which is attached to a shapefile.

I guess all I am wondering is if I have to add the layer to a map 122 times in order to be able to toggle between layers in the app or if there is an app or a way to just include one layer with all variables and select the data the user wishes to display (in choropleth) in much the same way as the user would select a different layer. 

I hope this makes sense. apologies if not.

0 Kudos
BryndaHatch
Esri Contributor

Dom,

I think that without Business Analyst, you will have to do what you said: add the layer 122 times.  However, I can't help but think how unwieldy that will be for the end user.  Take the time to consider other ways to visualize the data better.  Perhaps group the variables into categories and create tabs within your web app, so that there are fewer layers to scroll through on each tab?

Good luck.

Brynda

0 Kudos