Custom Widgets in non-AWAB apps

07-19-2017 08:41 AM
himachaganti1
New Contributor

Is there a way to use custom AWAB widgets in non AWAB apps? I want to use one custom widget in a javascript application. I know we can download apps and host it on our servers. I am wondering if we can reuse custom widgets in other applications. TIA.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

(I converted your post from a discussion to a question which will get more views/responses)

Based on other similar questions, and answers, because WAB has so much built in, it would take a lot of work.  So basically, no.  But there are samples on the ArcGIS API for JavaScript | ArcGIS for Developers  to help you build your own.

himachaganti1
New Contributor

Thank you Rebecca. We have a basic widget developed using JAvascript APIS. However we have very good widget developed using AWAB. just seeing if there is an option to reuse it. When you say " it would take a lot of work" , Do you think it is possible? 

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I based my comments on responses I've seen from rscheitlin who is the master of many/most of the custom widgets that are currently available. 

In my opinion only, if he wouldn't attempt it, I wouldn't either.  I think basically you would have to rewrite the entire widget and you would have to find all the WAB custom widget dependencies.  So, I know you can't plug it in to a JS app....I think you are better off just trying to write it with JS if you aren't using WAB.

himachaganti1
New Contributor

Thank you so much Rebecca.

Robert Scheitlin, GISP‌ : What are your thoughts on this? TIA

0 Kudos