Can Web AppBuilder access map services hosted by ArcGIS for Server? Or is WAB limited to accessing map services hosted by ArcGIS Online or Portal?

Jump to solution
03-03-2015 10:26 AM
RudyStricklan
New Contributor II

Can Web AppBuilder access map services hosted by ArcGIS for Server? Or is WAB limited to accessing map services hosted by ArcGIS Online or Portal?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

No out of the box WAB can not access map services hosted by ArcGIS Server. Sorry thought that was clear.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Rudy,

This has been asked before a couple of times:

include layer via my own REST service and not from AGOL

0 Kudos
RudyStricklan
New Contributor II

Thanks, Robert. I have seen the discussion thread that you referenced, and it begins with the notice that the question has not been answered. I'm likewise still confused. So, out of the box, can WAB access map services hosted by ArcGIS Server or not? Sorry for the obtuseness.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

No out of the box WAB can not access map services hosted by ArcGIS Server. Sorry thought that was clear.

0 Kudos
JenniferL_Burke
New Contributor II

Hi Rudy,

I have done this indirectly. I routed my ArcGIS Server feature services through ArcGIS Online (Shared to My Content setting is checked during publishing). the service is still hosted by our server but is listed as an item in AGOL that points to our state owned server. I then add the feature service to an ArcGIS online web map that is brought into the Web App Builder.

Hope the helps,

Jen

RudyStricklan
New Contributor II

Thank you, Jennifer. I was suspecting that AGOL has to be in the loop somehow. Do you know, then, if you can utilize Portal to access map services hosted by ArcGIS Server?

Rudy Stricklan

0 Kudos
JenniferL_Burke
New Contributor II

Sorry, Rudy, I don't have access to Portal but my guess is the same is Bernie's, I believe it's purpose is to privately serve ArcGIS Server services. I think they are companion programs.

Jen Burke

0 Kudos
berniejconnors
Occasional Contributor III

Jen, Rudy,

I also do this routinely.  I host map services on our own ArcGIS Server and then publish that service to ArcGIS Online.  It is a great way to control your credit usage.  Go to ArcGIS Online and do a search for "GeoNB" to see the list of services we are publishing.  This makes it really easy to compose a web map in AGOL that I can then reference in Web AppBuilder.

I have not used Portal but my understanding is that it is just a private, on-premise version of AGOL, therefore you should be able to publish your ArcGIS Server map services to Portal the same way I publish my map services to AGOL.

Bernie.

RudyStricklan
New Contributor II

Very helpful information, thanks, Bernie. Nice-looking data, BTW!

Rudy Stricklan

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1
Occasional Contributor III

Bernie:

When you say you "then publish that service to ArcGIS Online" do you mean you are then registering that service with AGOL or you then re-publish that service up to AGOL.  If the later, then you can just skip the step to AGS right?  I mean publish directly up to AGOL?

0 Kudos