Bing Maps & Basemap Gallery Widget

Jump to solution
06-20-2018 09:26 AM
JeffDavis7
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I am having difficulty getting Bing Maps to show up in my Basemap Gallery Widget.

I have created a Basemap Gallery WGS1984 group.  Our own basemap aerial for this group has been converted to WGS1984 and shows up fine with all the ESRI content added as well.  I have added all three Bing Map offerings to this same group and they appear just fine as choices within the confines of the Map Viewer.

However, they are not listed as offerings to add to my Basemap Gallery widget.  I've tried removing the widget and re-adding it but there is no change in the offerings.  They simply do not show as listed within this group even though they are there and selectable within the Map Viewer interface.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jeff,

That is likely an issue. My aerials that I have working with esri basemaps and BING are tiled MapServices that have the same tiling scheme as esri basemaps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
JeffDavis7
Occasional Contributor

Hi Robert,

Yes.  I did see that posting and it is a great resource for your initial setup, which I have completed.  Unfortunately, my problem is localized to the Basemap Gallery widget within an application that I am creating.  I even went as far as creating a group that only contains my Bing Maps.  Taking this direction I was at least able to see the group after selecting but nothing is listed.

Hopefully my attachments will help illustrate.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jeff,

OK the big issue I see is that you are saying that your basemaps are in WGS1984 (wkid 4326) will Bing Maps are in WebMercator (WKID 1021000) so they will not work with your basemaps if they are 4326.

0 Kudos
JeffDavis7
Occasional Contributor

I should have been a little more precise concerning the coordinate system.  I actually projected my aerials to WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere) WKID: 3857 Authority: EPSG.  I read this is the latest WKID that supersedes the WKID of 102100 so I assumed it would work.  Is that not correct?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jeff,

Yes WKID 3857 should work fine. I have BING basemaps working fine in my WAB 2.8. I just followed that Blog post and had no issue.

JeffDavis7
Occasional Contributor

Interesting.  I have attached three additional screenshots.

Basemap Gallery Widget Edit3 this is the map selection available with the "Always synchronize with the Basemap Gallery setting of the organization" enabled.

Basemap Gallery Widget Edit4 is a sample of what is available within Map Viewer that features the whole lot.

Basemap Gallery Widget Edit5 is from the Organization/Edit Settings page indicating I am pointing to the Basemap Gallery WGS1984 that has everything inside including all ESRI vector and Bing Maps.

I should note that I do click the "Share the ESRI default basemaps to this group when you click Save" and select Vector as well.  But based on Edit3 those maps are not included within the widget plus Bing and the Basemap Gallery WGS1984 isn't even listed if I decided to Configure custom basemaps by using the Import function within the widget.

This just doesn't make sense at all.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jeff,

So your aerial basemap is in WKID 3857 right? And it uses the same tiling scheme as the standard esri basemaps right? If both of these do not match then the basemaps will not be added as they are seen as different.

0 Kudos
JeffDavis7
Occasional Contributor

My aerial basemap is WKID 3857 but it originates from an image service.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jeff,

That is likely an issue. My aerials that I have working with esri basemaps and BING are tiled MapServices that have the same tiling scheme as esri basemaps.

0 Kudos