Best Use Case for Google Analytics in WAB?

11-14-2014 08:02 AM
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III

So I want to have Google Analytics for my WAB Maps. I realize this is a MUCH better environment for this than back in Flex (where you had to have widgets and such to do this) but I am curious what the best way to do this would be?

I have considered creating a WAB Template map that has Google Analytics code pre-populated requiring minor adjustments. I have considered trying my hand at a Widget (for several reasons). I have considered just editing the code once the WAB Map is completed.

Is there a recommended process for this? Or are we wild westing this stuff right now since WAB is still in BETA?

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Raul_Jimenez
Esri Contributor

Great, thanks Ian & Stan!,

Stan is right, you just need to rename the folder (it's working for me too). I'm also interested on tracking when a user open or close a widget. Is it possible to subscribe to "onOpen" and "onClose" and/or "click" events of every widget from this one?.

I have found a list of widget loaded in memory in this variable: this._widgetManager.loaded, but I'm not sure how to do this, conceptually it would be something like this:

define([
  "dojo/on"
], function(on){
  this._widgetManager.loaded.foreach(function(widget){
    on(widget.domNode, "onOpen", lang.hitch(this, function (event) {
      ga('send', 'event', event.name, 'open', widget.name, ...);    
    }));
    // and so on for every event
  }
});‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

Does this make sense?

By the way, I have included this widget to the "Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS - Custom widgets directory" where you can see a demo app with the widget working:

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Raul_Jimenez
Esri Contributor

I guess this is not the most elegant way of doing it, but I'm trying modifing the window._widgetManager directly, something like this:

this.oldOpenWidget = window._widgetManager.openWidget;
var that = this;

window._widgetManager.openWidget = function(widget){
   ga('send', 'event', 'Widget Interaction', 'openWidget', widget.name);
   that.oldOpenWidget.apply(this, arguments);
   lang.hitch(this, that.oldOpenWidget);
};
0 Kudos
Raul_Jimenez
Esri Contributor

Jianxia Song‌ / Lemao Wu‌ do you have a better idea?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JunshanLiu
Occasional Contributor III

The easiest way is to modify the code in stemapp and jimu.js. If you don't want to change code in jimu so that you can upgrade easily, here is a recommendation:

* Create a off-panel widget, without UI

* Config this widget in on-screen

* In the widget, you can:

* Load the GA lib

* Use aspect.after() to bind some functions in widgetManager, such as:

aspect.after(this.widgetManager, 'openWidget', function(){

GA....

})

Raul_Jimenez
Esri Contributor

Thanks junshan_liu-esristaff‌!! I'll try using aspect.after() then

0 Kudos