Web Mapping App functionality leaves things to be desired

06-14-2022 08:53 PM
Labels (2)
BenjamenWetherill
New Contributor III

I am trying to use a Web Mapping App for crowdsourcing information from the public about invasive plants in local rivers.  I have found the functionality to be awkward and not very satisfactory.  Here are the issues I ran into:

1. A Feature Layer is created to manage and store the data records.  However, it is not possible to edit the data records in the Feature Layer.  I would like to manipulate data records after members of the public have entered them.  But, the only way to do this is to open the online Web Map that contains the feature layer, and in the Web Map it is only possible to edit one record at a time.  If I want to delete a set of records, that is not possible.
  2. In the Web Mapping App, it is not possible to define the size of the widget windows when they open.  For example, the Edit Widget takes up a large portion of the screen (on computers and mobile devices) and it covers up much of the map.
  3. In the Web Mapping App, the only way to exit the widgets is to click the very small X at the top right.  This is hard to do on a small screen.
  4. In the Edit Widget, there is no clear Save button, even if I choose the option "Don't apply edits to the attributes until clicking the Save button".  The only way to save is to click the very small X at the top right.  This is not intuitive.
  5. The My Location widget functionality is clunky.  It shows you your location, but it doesn't help you place your next edit at your location.  Also, when it is turned on, on a mobile device, the Edit Widget window has trouble positioning itself because it covers up your location and it is hard to locate your edit.
  6. In the Edit Widget, sometimes photo attachments do not load.  I can't figure out why that is.
4 Comments
AlixVezina

Hi @BenjamenWetherill ,

I’m sorry that you were not able to find the functionality you require. Please allow me to try help answer some of your concerns below. Since you have posted this on the ArcGIS Web AppBuilder Ideas page, I will assume this is the product you are using.

1. A Feature Layer is created to manage and store the data records.  However, it is not possible to edit the data records in the Feature Layer.  I would like to manipulate data records after members of the public have entered them.  But, the only way to do this is to open the online Web Map that contains the feature layer, and in the Web Map it is only possible to edit one record at a time.  If I want to delete a set of records, that is not possible.

The Edit widget will allow you to edit data records and also select many features on the map and delete them.

If you need to batch update the attributes for multiple features, please see the Batch Attribute Editor widget.

2. In the Web Mapping App, it is not possible to define the size of the widget windows when they open.  For example, the Edit Widget takes up a large portion of the screen (on computers and mobile devices) and it covers up much of the map.

Have you explored the different Themes and Layouts available? Perhaps one of them would suit better?

AlixVezina_0-1655413082028.png

Otherwise, check out ArcGIS Experience Builder (the latest app builder) which allows you to build your own layouts and also position and customize widget placement. Please note that some of the widgets you require may not be available yet as full functionality parity with Web AppBuilder has not yet been met.

3. In the Web Mapping App, the only way to exit the widgets is to click the very small X at the top right.  This is hard to do on a small screen.

Noted. ArcGIS Experience Builder provides a better user experience for smaller/mobile screens. You may want to explore the options there.

4. In the Edit Widget, there is no clear Save button, even if I choose the option "Don't apply edits to the attributes until clicking the Save button".  The only way to save is to click the very small X at the top right.  This is not intuitive.

The Save button in the Edit widget only controls saving the attribute changes, not the creation of new features. It’s meant to allow for quick creation without having to hit save every time.

When editing attributes for a feature using the Edit widget, a Save button is displayed at the bottom of the window.

AlixVezina_1-1655413082043.png

On the other hand, when a new feature is created it is created and saved automatically without having to click a Save button.

If this is not the behavior you are looking for, the Smart Editor widget will display a Save button both when creating and updating features unless you opt in to save new features and attributes changes automatically (see the General settings for that widget).

5. The My Location widget functionality is clunky.  It shows you your location, but it doesn't help you place your next edit at your location.  Also, when it is turned on, on a mobile device, the Edit Widget window has trouble positioning itself because it covers up your location and it is hard to locate your edit.

Noted. I am aware that web mapping mobile apps (such as Field Maps, Survey123 and QuickCapture) handle this workflow much better and make it easy to add new features on your current collation. They were designed for quick data collection on mobile devices. For crowdsourcing purposes, Survey123 may be more suitable.

6. In the Edit Widget, sometimes photo attachments do not load.  I can't figure out why that is.

We will need more details to identity the source of the issue. If this is preventing you from completing your project please contact Esri Support so they can help troubleshoot this issue.

There are many product options across ArcGIS that would be suitable for crowdsourcing and data management. Depending on your requirements, we can explore these other apps if you are able to provide more details on your different workflows.

For example, perhaps a combination of Survey123 or Crowdsource Reporter, along with Crowdsource Manager may work?

BenjamenWetherill

Thank you for the response Alix.  I'm glad to learn about the Crowdsource Reporter.  It seems like that is actually designed to do exactly what I want.

To describe my specific workflow.  I want the general public to be able to report invasive species in my watershed.  I'm looking for a simple url-link application that provides map-based ability to report what they see.  The application must be open to the public.  It must not require a login.  And it is best if it doesn't require them to install an app.  Then, as administrator, I need the ability to see and their reports and download a table of reports and show their reports on a map.  Survey123 has not met my needs because it requires installation of an app.

Regarding the batch delete capability, I would like the ability to easily delete reports as administrator.  I don't want to give users the ability to batch delete, so I don't think the Batch Attribute Editor widget would be useful.

Regarding the ability to manipulate widget window sizes, I took a look at the ArcGIS Experience Builder.  This does have better functionality for sizing, but I did not find the Edit Widget very friendly.  It did not provide the ability to turn off fields such as Snapping and other unnecessary fields in the widget.  These fields will just confuse the public user.

Regarding the save button in the Edit Widget, thanks for pointing out the Smart Editor Widget.  That does have a better save button, though it has some additional issues, such as defaulting the cursor location to a pick-list field where you shouldn't be able to type text.

In testing the Crowdsource Reporter, it looks good, but I also ran into some less than desirable functionality:

1. The Report List doesn't seem to be able to show anything other than the feature layer name.  This is odd, because the list just shows the same name for every report.  It would be better to have it show something more useful.
  2. The map doesn't automatically show all existing reports.  It is awkward to have to click "show more reports" to add them to the map.
AlixVezina

Hi @BenjamenWetherill ,

Survey123 has not met my needs because it requires installation of an app.

If you build your survey on the web, this is accessible through the browser and does not require the installation of any application. Your survey can allow for public data submission and won't require a login either.

Log in to Survey123 using your ArcGIS Online user account and start creating new surveys: Sign in to ArcGIS Survey123

AlixVezina_1-1655824497361.png

Here is an example of a public data collection survey (shared at the bottom of this blog😞 Your Feedback Survey (arcgis.com).

You can even share your survey through a link or a QR code to make it easy to scan and open on mobile.AlixVezina_0-1655824332435.png

Regarding the batch delete capability, I would like the ability to easily delete reports as administrator.

The Crowdsource Manager app could work for that workflow, or any app with editing. It really depends on the experience you are looking to provide to the administrator and you may need to familiarize yourself wit the different options to choose the one you prefer. Another option example: in Survey123 a Data tab is provided where an admin can also review and remove records.

AlixVezina_2-1655824817173.png

Regarding the ability to manipulate widget window sizes, I took a look at the ArcGIS Experience Builder.  This does have better functionality for sizing, but I did not find the Edit Widget very friendly.  It did not provide the ability to turn off fields such as Snapping and other unnecessary fields in the widget.  These fields will just confuse the public user.

Please review the widget documentation which could help guide you on how to configure this widget. Edit widget—ArcGIS Experience Builder | Documentation. The widget provides the ability to turn off/hide fields if not needed. The ability to show/hide snapping options may be added at a later time.

Regarding the save button in the Edit Widget, thanks for pointing out the Smart Editor Widget.  That does have a better save button, though it has some additional issues, such as defaulting the cursor location to a pick-list field where you shouldn't be able to type text.

Please provide more details and screenshots, and we can review if this is an issue that needs fixing.

In testing the Crowdsource Reporter, it looks good, but I also ran into some less than desirable functionality:

I'll see if someone who is more familiar with the Crowdsource Reporter can answer your questions.

BenjamenWetherill

Thank you.  Survey123 may actually be the best solution.  I didn't realize it could be used without an app.