The ability to modify the Overview Widget

11-05-2015 12:55 PM
LindseyStone
Occasional Contributor III
I want the the ability to modify the min and max extent of the Overview Widget.  Along with the ability to change the map service it is pointing into, insetad of it automatically using the default basemap.
5 Comments
CalebAnderson1

I would like to be able to change the basemap for the overview map provided in the journal story map. The basemap is aerial imagery which is good for the main screen but doesn't provide any context in the overview map. I would like to use the ESRI topo basemap in the overview to provide context as far as roads, cities, etc. 

story, map, journal, overview, aerial

NicklasRichards

The ability to add even a single layer from the map to the Overview map to add map specific context would be a great enhancement for the Overview widget. Currently it offers little to the app as a whole to only show an overview of an already bare basemap, needs the ability to use map layers for added reference to the user!

by Anonymous User

I need the same thing - maybe the widget should allow to include a web map - the same as the one used in the current WAB, or a different one?

ChrisGiles

I agree, the #overview #widget needs some work to make it useful and any of the above suggestions would be great.  It doesn't even appear to use all of the layers in the current #basemap, so that would be a good start if it did... If the basemap the WAB web map uses has multiple services within it, it seems that the overview widget picks up only the first layer that was used to create the basemap and not the full set of services in the basemap.

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

I was thinking the same thing just yesterday when trying out WebApps for the first time. An overview map that only uses Aerial Imagery is fine for showing a large area within a country with sea borders, bit doesn't provide many useful references when looking at smaller areas only on land. Roads and Town names or custom layers would be a minimum.