Select to view content in your preferred language

Smart Editor Widget - Presets for Existing Features

07-28-2020 11:26 AM
dgray
by
New Contributor III

Allow you to create a preset/default value for an existing feature that doesn't have a value yet.  It seems like only new features fill in preset values, and existing features, even if you give them preset values using Attribute Actions, do not actually fill these attributes in.  For example, an existing feature that has a date field preset to today's date for a field inspector (if date is currently blank) when they edit that feature, etc.#

16 Comments
AlixVezina

Hi Dianne Gray,

Thank you for sharing on ArcGIS Ideas!

As you've stated, the Smart Editor widget in ArcGIS Web AppBuilder does not currently provide the capability to update Preset Attribute Actions for existing features - Presets will only be triggered when creating a new feature. This is a known limitation and updating all Presets for existing features will probably not be included in the product plan for now.

However, we are looking to allow batch updating Attribute Actions for multiple selected features (including Addresses, Coordinates, and Intersections - but this excludes Presets).

Also, while it is not currently possible to trigger an update on a date Preset Attribute Actions, you may be able to use the following workaround for what you are trying to do: keep track of created and updated features, see the associated documentation here.

By enabling this capability on your layer from the item settings, fields are added to your layer with the last edited date and the editor's username.

We will keep you posted on any related updates.

Regards,

Alix

dgray
by

Ok thank you, I already use the "keep track of created and updated features" setting but because the entry may not always be the same date as when the information is updated this wasn't what I was needing.  Thanks anyways.

Laura
by MVP Regular Contributor

I agree, I also find this to be extremely frustrating. I am trying to work with Esri solutions which seem great on the surface, but run into all these little issues such as this. I loaded in some data through Pro and then went into the apps to configure everything to my liking hoping to have preset values as the surveys/attributes they are required to fill in are quite long. Looks like we'll have to waste time manually doing it all instead. 

AlixVezina

@Laura , How are you looking to use the preset values? Please are you able to provide more details on your setup and what you are trying to achieve? Perhaps we can find a workaround?

Laura

I am specifically using the lead service line solution in AGOL and would like the smart editor to have default 'answers' for some of the attributes to make the process easier, but it says it would only do that for new features. 

AlixVezina

@Laura That's correct, the preset values that you configure in the Smart Editor will only be applied when the user will create new features.

Do you need preset values to show up when they update individual features instead? Or are you looking to batch-calculate values for multiple features?

Laura

We are manually going in to update each point based off of paper records, so just having them show up when they are updating points would be fine. 

AlixVezina

@Laura 

Depending on your version of ArcGIS your options will defer. But if you're using ArcGIS Online or Enterprise 11.0 or later, Calculated expressions in the new smart forms may be an option for you as you can define the presets to show up depending on the edit context (on feature create or update). This is the functionality that will replace the Smart Editor widget when Web AppBuilder retires.

Here are blogs with some examples:

One limitation to keep in mind though: a field with a calculated expression (preset value) assigned becomes read-only. That preset value is hardcoded into the field and the user will not be able to modify it while editing that feature.

You can play with some examples in this web map using the Editor widget:

AlixVezina_0-1691177110556.png

Laura

ah ok, that does sound more along the lines like what I was going for. However, I do need it to be editable. 

AlixVezina

@Laura we're evaluating the possibility of making these calculated fields editable. Do you have any examples of why this is necessary based on your use case? Thank you!