Select Widget Buffer Option

04-26-2017 11:46 AM
ThomasSchultz
New Contributor III

It would be nice if there was an option to buffer in the Select widget.  My idea would be to buffer two different ways:

• Enter a buffer distance and select units from a dropdown, and then have the tool buffer a rectangle, polygon, circle, line, or point (current there is no select by point option) and select all features within that buffer area.
  • When a feature is selected from one of the map layers, one of the available actions under "Show actions on selected feature(s)" could be an option to buffer the feature.  The user would have to enter the buffer distance and choose units from a dropdown, and then a new selection would run selected all features within that buffer area.
3 Comments
JohnFannon

Similar buffer functionality exists in some of the other widgets (Near Me and Incident Analysis), but is missing from the Select widget. Buffering would be a really useful addition and relatively simple to implement I would have thought.

TylerKiehle

I wouldn't hold your breath.  When you can select by buffer you start to get into analysis territory and cut into Esri's profit.  Maybe they'll add it to the Analysis widget and let you pay a per use service fee for that.  You can use the Query widget to select by and apply a buffer, but you can't select by location using one feature layer to select other features, which is what I'd like to offer my app users.

by Anonymous User

Tyler interesting point. Although I think most orgs if it gets to that point for basic stuff many will just go open source.  I use Robert's widget for this kind of thing now, but the Select widget comes with other benefits like ability to select NEW layers added via Add Data widget or others. While Robert's UI is far better than Esri's that is one thing it offers eSearch does not. So for now, I have both. Buffer in Select would be nice though. So for now I'd assume it'll probably be filed under Consideration and I'd hope maybe we'll see it in a year or so. Seems probably rather easy to implement with high use case benefit to end users.