There is a need for a container widget to create and store selections of features that can be accessed later as the input for widgets. Feature selection can be similar to what is possible within the Batch Attribute Editor. The primary difference is that selections can be used as inputs for widgets.
Here are a few possibilities if current widgets were able to take in a global feature selection:
- Attribute Table: edit the attributes of individual features in a filtered table
- Chart: display statistical summary of the selection
- Related Table Chart: view only features/records related to the selection
- Summary: same benefits as the Chart widget
- Analysis: easily provide the intended features to any of the aggregation tools. Buffer selection, extract, etc.
- Situation Awareness: numerical summary of selection, obtain info of proximity to incident for each feature
- Geoprocessing: run the geoprocess on the selection
- Info Summary: view the feature type count for selection
- Directions: Optimized route for selection
- Batch Attribute Editor: this widget benefits from using a global selection. The intended features can be verified by leveraging other widgets before the bulk update occurs.
- Print: output uses padded extent of the selected features and highlights or filters them
- Search: batch geocode selection to get a list of addresses
- Edit: update geometry for entire selection
- Custom Reporting Widgets
This is just the tip of the iceberg. Imagine how much more powerful apps and widgets would be with feature selections!