Select to view content in your preferred language

Visual Studio Template Missing?

02-07-2013 11:59 AM
BenTreptow
New Contributor II
I have Visual Studio 2012, ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight 3.1 and the Extensibility SDK installed, but the VS template is not showing up. I've tried unistalling/resinstalling the Extensibility SDK, but it doesn't resolve the issue. Anybody know what's going on?
20 Replies
PeterShoemark
New Contributor II
Plagurising Katy's advice provided 02-20-2013 07:15 AM, I found the solution detailed below worked well for me.
I also renamed the install files I used with a numeric prefix so I could come back later and reproduce if necessary.
(I dont recommend renaming install files normally)
01_Silverlight_x64.exe
02_Silverlight_Developer_x64.exe
03_ArcGISSilverlightViewer3_2_x64.exe
04_ArcGISExtensibility3_2_x86.exe
05_ArcGISAPI32forSilverlight.exe
06_ArcGISSilverlightWPF21.exe
07_NuGet.Tools.vsix

Then run through the steps below; (I am using Win7 x64 and Visual Studio Express 2012, IE9 and Google Chrome)

Basically, you need to extract the template from the setup and manually wire it up to work with VS:
1. If Visual Studio is open, close it.
2. If the Extensibility SDK is already installed, uninstall it.
3. Once the uninstall has finished, start the Extensibility SDK installer
4. When the setup window appears, navigate to;
        %temp%\{1275F0CE-72F0-4FDD-9981-CB215CE2F310}.
        You can find the path to %temp% by opening a command prompt and issuing the command �??echo %temp%�?�.
        On Windows 7, for instance, the temp directory will be;
        C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Temp
        Note that you must navigate to the temp directory while the setup window is open.
5. Copy the setup.msi file from the temp directory to another location (e.g. C:\temp).
6. Complete the Extensibility SDK setup.
7. Extract the contents of the setup.msi.
      1. To do this, open a command prompt and issue the command �??msiexec /a <msi path> /qb TARGETDIR=<extraction path>�?�
      2. for example �??msiexec /a c:\temp\setup.msi /qb TARGETDIR=c:\temp\viewer�?�.
(No quotes)
8. After the contents have been extracted, navigate to the Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\CSharp\Silverlight\Esri folder in your C:\Temp (the extraction location).
9. Copy the ESRIViewer.zip file to the appropriate Visual Studio 2012 templates directory.
10. If Visual Studio is installed on the C drive, this will be C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\VWDExpress\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\Silverlight\Esri
11. Open Visual Studio 2012 go to Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions and set
      1. �??User PROJECTS template location:�?? to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\VWDExpress\ProjectTemplates
      2. �??User ITEM template location:�?? to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\VWDExpress\ItemTemplates
12. Note: it will take a couple of minutes to absorb the new info so leave it idle for 5 mins then close and restart Visual Studio 2012, go to File->New Project and you should see the ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight Project Template.

I hope this helps others as it sure took a while for me to figure it out. Cheers, Peter
0 Kudos