Select to view content in your preferred language

Using the Silverlight Viewer 3.2 Query Tool multiple times in one application

Jump to solution
08-26-2014 01:17 PM
StevePickens
Emerging Contributor

I am attempting to recreate an ArcMAP application we have by using the ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight 3.2. Our map had several (15) custom tools designed to Select By Attribute on various layers in the map. Several of these tools might search the same layer but on different fields. Now in the Silverlight Builder, I can add the Query Tool multiple times and configure it to search several different layers. I have also had it search the same layer on different fields but it always seems to lose those tools when I save and close the Builder and open the site to test it. I had 10 tools set up in 2 Grouped Toolbars containing tools to search our Sewer features and our Parcels and such. I saved several times during the process and all of the tools were working when I last saved and published the site. When I opened it for testing there were only 2 tools in the Sewer Tools group and none in the Parcel Tools group on the main toolbar. I have lost all of my work and now when I try to recreate the tools again and save and publish after each one is added they are missing when I open the site in for editing or for testing. The tools are simply gone rom the toolbar even though the builder showed that the Changes Saved successfully.

Is there some limit on the number of Query Tools you can use in an application? What about using 2 or more Query Tools to search the same layer on different fields?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PietaSwanepoel1
Deactivated User

Steve,

the query tool consumes a lot of resources. Essentially what happens is that all the values for the field (or fields) are saved in the configuration. This bloats the configuration of the tool. The issue is that your webserver limits the size of the config file. You can increase this size but in the long run not really the solution 

We modified the tool to only save the values for a field if a drop-down list is used. Else, it is removed from the config file

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PietaSwanepoel1
Deactivated User

Steve,

the query tool consumes a lot of resources. Essentially what happens is that all the values for the field (or fields) are saved in the configuration. This bloats the configuration of the tool. The issue is that your webserver limits the size of the config file. You can increase this size but in the long run not really the solution 

We modified the tool to only save the values for a field if a drop-down list is used. Else, it is removed from the config file

0 Kudos
StevePickens
Emerging Contributor

Thanks, Sorry I'm so late replying. Got really sidetracked.

I wondered about that. I've looked at the Tools file and it gets pretty big. We have over 350,000 parcels and I was trying to use the tool twice on the same parcels layer. I'm not sure I can edit the tool to exclude the fields when I'm not using a dropdown. Can you advise me at least where to start?

0 Kudos
juliamachin
Deactivated User

I had the same issue, and with the help of Esri support found a solution. Adding the following line of code to the web.config file in the Builder folder solved the problem. Add it under the <compilation debug="true" /> line

<httpRuntime maxRequestLength="102400" executionTimeout="1200" />

StevePickens
Emerging Contributor

Thank you for the reply. I'm now wondering if I should continue with Silverlight or switch to ArcGIS online. I'll try your suggestion before I switch gears on it.

Thanks again

Steve

0 Kudos