Select to view content in your preferred language

Upgrading to version 3.0

10-25-2012 03:32 PM
KatherineDalton
Esri Regular Contributor
A quick bit of info for upgrading to the ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight 3.0:

• Upgrading the Application Builder - Simply run the 3.0 setup, you do not need to uninstall the previous version.

• Upgrading the Extensibility SDK - For the Extensibility SDK, you must first uninstall the previous version (2.4). Then install v3.0.

• Upgrading existing Viewer applications - After installing v3.0, open the Application Builder. On the Home page, each existing application will have an icon next to it for upgrading. Each application must be upgraded individually.

• Upgrading existing add-ins:

• Upgrade Viewer.xap file (copy the one from C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Builder\Templates\Config)

• Update the .Addins project to target Silverlight 5

• Update ESRI Silverlight API and Extensibility API references to 3.0

• Remove the Search and Print tools from Tools.xml, if present. The Search tool is included in new Viewer projects by default, so this is likely to be there.

• Beginning at 3.0, you'll find a Layouts.xml file included in the layouts folder. You'll need to edit this to include your custom layouts.

Hope that helps,
Katy
Katy Dalton | Technical Consultant
THE SCIENCE OF WHERE™
0 Kudos
6 Replies
ELIZABETHF_T_
New Contributor III
Where is the download file? I don't find it.
0 Kudos
nakulmanocha
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
MichaelLacy
New Contributor III
Does the new Extensibility SDK require Silverlight 5?  I see the latest ArcGIS API for Silverlight has assemblies for both Silverlight 4 and 5, but it looks like the Extensiblity SDK requires 5 since I can't get it to compile when I target Silverlight 4.  I wanted to make sure, though.

Thanks,
Mike
0 Kudos
MichaelLakey
New Contributor III
Does the new Extensibility SDK require Silverlight 5?  I see the latest ArcGIS API for Silverlight has assemblies for both Silverlight 4 and 5, but it looks like the Extensiblity SDK requires 5 since I can't get it to compile when I target Silverlight 4.  I wanted to make sure, though.

Thanks,
Mike

ESRI Support told us that you can run the application in a browser running Silverlight 4 and 5, but any development with the Extensibility SDK in ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight 3.0 requires the 5.0 Silverlight developer framework.  Also, if the application is built using Silverlight 5, it can only run on a browser that supports Silverlight 5.

I guess my question is: are there any plans to make the SDKs of ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight 3.0 or any future versions of the Viewer compatible with Silverlight 4?

Mike
0 Kudos
MichaelLakey
New Contributor III
I guess my question is: are there any plans to make the SDKs of ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight 3.0 or any future versions of the Viewer compatible with Silverlight 4?

Mike

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-us&c2=12905

OK, so maybe ESRI support for SL4 in Viewer 3.0 was a bit of wishful thinking.  I didn�??t realize that Microsoft's support for SL4 was ending so soon.
0 Kudos
OlegLukyanov
New Contributor III
A quick bit of info for upgrading to the ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight 3.0:

• Upgrading existing Viewer applications - After installing v3.0, open the Application Builder. On the Home page, each existing application will have an icon next to it for upgrading. Each application must be upgraded individually.

Hope that helps,
Katy

I didn't find Home page with existing applications after upgrade to 3.0 localized version but I see it in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Builder folder.

Help please.
0 Kudos