Select to view content in your preferred language

Measuring Tool - Changing the Default Units from Meters to Feet?

10-15-2012 11:21 AM
IanPeebles
Frequent Contributor
My data is in state plane coordinates. . the units are in feet, but the measuring tool comes in a meters by default.

Has anyone changed the default measuring units from meters to feet?  I want to keep the lat and long coordinate, but want to expand the number of decimal places from 2 to 6.

Anyone have any suggestions?
0 Kudos
15 Replies
IanPeebles
Frequent Contributor
Well I actually got this working!  I figured out I had to install the Microsoft Expression Blend Software Development Kit (installed the BETA of Silverlight 5) on my machine. 

What version is ESRI using?

Microsoft Expression Blend Software Development Kit (SDK) for Silverlight 4

I assume this version would work as well?

By installing this SDK, my errors were resolved.  I then did a rebuild and save.  Next I removed the add-in from the viewer. . cleared the internet cache, then I was able to add in the updated add in and it worked.
0 Kudos
KatherineDalton
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Ian,

I'm so glad to hear it worked! When we moved to the ArcGIS API for Silverlight 3.0, we also moved to Silverlight 5, therefore the requirements for developing add-ins are as follows:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 or Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010 Express.
    ArcGIS API for Microsoft Silverlight 3.0.
    Microsoft Expression Blend Preview for Silverlight 5.
    Microsoft Silverlight 5 Tools for Visual Studio 2010 SP1
    Microsoft Silverlight Toolkit

Katy
Katy Dalton | Technical Consultant
THE SCIENCE OF WHERE™
0 Kudos
TomMagdaleno
Frequent Contributor
Could someone please upload a .XAP of a measure tool with Feet as the default measurement?
0 Kudos
IanPeebles
Frequent Contributor
Could someone please upload a .XAP of a measure tool with Feet as the default measurement?

This add-in has the measuring units defaulted to feet.  I worked on this file back in October.  Let me know if this works.
TomMagdaleno
Frequent Contributor

Ian,

Did you even update to a newer version of Silverlight viewer and find that it did not work anymore?  I went from 3.0 to 3.3 and the measure tool no longer works.  I am trying to modify it in Visual Studio but it says my Silverlight version is not high enough.  I'm at version 4.  If I download 5 it tells me it is already installed.  Long story short, you wouldn't happen to have a .xap file that works with 3.3 would you?

0 Kudos
TomMagdaleno
Frequent Contributor
This add-in has the measuring units defaulted to feet.  I worked on this file back in October.  Let me know if this works.

Thank you so much Ian.  That works perfectly!  You should upload it to the resource center. 
To make it work I deleted my old measure tool add-in and added yours.  Then I deleted the internet cache and reopened the map and it worked.
0 Kudos