Customizing ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight

Jump to solution
01-14-2013 09:57 PM
Sherifat_OmolaraKareem
New Contributor
I need urgent help! I am no programmer, never have been and I don't think I ever will be. I give props to those developers out there. I recently took up the challenge to upgrade my organization's GIS from a single user interface to a multi-user interface. Everything, servers and all, is in place now. I have scored the various interfaces, flex and others and have decided to go with Silverlight. I have added all known Add-Ins but will like to take advantage of some of the awesome sample codes found in the ArcGIS API for Silverlight - Interactive SDK. I have fiddled with it over and over, downloaded every application mentioned in the help section, but for the life of me I don't have a clue how to incorporate these codes in my deployed Silverlight viewer.

Can someone please help me by compiling a step-by-step process of how i can get this done. I know this is asking a lot but I will really appreciate it. I will also like to know how I can make layers within folders selectable in my table of contents.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KatherineDalton
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello,

Unfortunately the ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight implements a different extensibility framework than applications created with the ArcGIS API for Silverlight. While the Viewer uses the Silverlight API, the framework is designed for you to use tools and behaviors, called add-ins, and plug those into the Viewer. This means that you cannot take a Silverlight API sample and use it directly in the Viewer without some fairly substantial changes.

For an idea of tools and behaviors, see the following topics:

Extending ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight
Creating a tool
Creating a behavior

Hope that helps,
Katy
Katy Dalton | Technical Consultant
THE SCIENCE OF WHERE™

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KatherineDalton
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello,

Unfortunately the ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight implements a different extensibility framework than applications created with the ArcGIS API for Silverlight. While the Viewer uses the Silverlight API, the framework is designed for you to use tools and behaviors, called add-ins, and plug those into the Viewer. This means that you cannot take a Silverlight API sample and use it directly in the Viewer without some fairly substantial changes.

For an idea of tools and behaviors, see the following topics:

Extending ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight
Creating a tool
Creating a behavior

Hope that helps,
Katy
Katy Dalton | Technical Consultant
THE SCIENCE OF WHERE™
0 Kudos
PietaSwanepoel2
Occasional Contributor
Have a good look at what is available for the Flex viewer. It is far more developed with more tool (add-ins) available. The Silverlight viewer examples are not of much use unless you can really program. If you would like to stick with Silverlight, and your require lots of customisation, rather use the Silverlight API and develop your own framework and tools. There are some example frameworks and the other examples might be able to work within your framework. Be aware that different design patterns are applied in the various examples and it is not very consistent. You can also try using the code of an older framework (version 2.4) and upgrade it to 3.0 (but then again that is also not straight forward)
0 Kudos