Select to view content in your preferred language

Widget Restriction

Jump to solution
11-13-2014 05:51 AM
EvelynHernandez
Regular Contributor

Hello,

I want to ask. Is there a way to restrict the mount of widget that i can see in the flex viewert with some user permission? Cuz i need to make a widget that just few people have to had access and do some query from another database (SQL).

How can i do that? is there any example?

And another question is, what is the risk of having multiple database in arcgisserver? how can u create another one?

Thanks for ur answers

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Evelyn,

Normally people control the widgets that are loaded in the Viewer though using a particular config.xml based on the users role. The ArcGIS Security web service that we have discussed in other threads has the ability to assign the config.xml based on the users role. If you want anything different than that then you would have to develop that capability yourself. I guess you could add code in the WidgetManger.as to allow or prevent the loading of widgets based on the user ( don't have an example).

Your next question:

what is the risk of having multiple database in arcgisserver? how can u create another one?

I don't understand at all. What do you mean by database?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Evelyn,

Normally people control the widgets that are loaded in the Viewer though using a particular config.xml based on the users role. The ArcGIS Security web service that we have discussed in other threads has the ability to assign the config.xml based on the users role. If you want anything different than that then you would have to develop that capability yourself. I guess you could add code in the WidgetManger.as to allow or prevent the loading of widgets based on the user ( don't have an example).

Your next question:

what is the risk of having multiple database in arcgisserver? how can u create another one?

I don't understand at all. What do you mean by database?

0 Kudos
EvelynHernandez
Regular Contributor

I understood. Well actually the thing i wanted to do is, throught the user id from the identity manager, restrict some combobox or objects that i dont want to show on a widget. The thing i did was create another table using the userid and another field called permission and put the objects that i want to show for that user in the widget. Then i could solve my problem with 2 queries app.

The other issue that i was thinking if , actually i manage one database in arcgisserver with their layers, but i noticed that if i go to the API u can create more arcgis databases, so if i create another the original one doesnt change the structure?.

Well, anyways thanks for ur help as always i will keep developing things on flex until the end XD

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Evelyn,

Maybe it your terminology use but I still don't understand

but i noticed that if i go to the API u can create more arcgis databases

There is no ability to create more arcgis databases in the Flex API. Geodatabases are created in ArcGIS (Desktop or Catalog) and then those geodatabases can be used in a mxd to publish a map service on ArcGIS Server.

0 Kudos