Select to view content in your preferred language

Web Maps with CSV Operational Layers not supported?

10-31-2012 10:27 AM
MapEnglish
Frequent Contributor
Hi:

This webmap has an operational layer that points to a csv file on a web server:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=abc34ec59ee44df59be59850700e6592

If above url is truncated, itemid is: abc34ec59ee44df59be59850700e6592

The ArcGIS Viewer for Flex 3.0 does not appear to recognize the layer. Can you confirm that this is by design or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Matt English
Esri Canada
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
AaronNash1
Frequent Contributor

not sure why that is happening to you. When I wrote the script and executed the scheduled process it was almost 3 years ago and a much older version of ArcServer. I have not needed to do anything similar using a shapefile since then. I now use GeoEvent Processor to create geometry from non-spatial features and that has worked very well.

0 Kudos
NolanAlbarelli
Occasional Contributor

I just went through the steps again.

• Opened an MXD,
  • Added a SHP file to MXD
  • Shared (published) as service  (this is when it stores the data in a temporary file, do i need to do something else with the stoprage of data?)
  • Consumed and displayed in my flex viewer
  • Returned to mxd with shapefile.
  • Edited shapefile (changed names of features)
  • Saved changes in editing session.
  • Closed arcmap

Went back into my flex application that pulls in the published layer and there was no change at all, feature service shares same old data that i published in steps above. 

I dont understand how updating your shapefile dynamically updates your map service.  I've just never heard of that. 

0 Kudos
AaronNash1
Frequent Contributor

I was looking over the script (wrote this 2.5 years ago) and it was creating a layer file from the csv, also it was copying the layer file to our webserver and it was not updating the file but replacing it. There is definitely a difference in our workflows. I am not condoning using a shapefile or layer file for a webservice, this script was created as a temporary solution during a hurricane that hit our community. We have since then moved on to more advanced processes to support our workflows.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

Nolan,

Are you using an older version of Server?

In previous versions (at least 10.0 and older) you could do this, but not sure now.

My experience shows that using the map service publishing toolbar from ArcMap doesn't give you this ability as it publishes as an msd and you would need to re-publish the service to re-create the msd file.

However, if you save the mxd file in ArcMap, then, in ArcCatalog, right-click the mxd and select publish as service.

This will publish it as an mxd service, and, if you modify the mxd or the data the mxd is utilizing, you will see the updates in the web service automatically (at least, once the server cache has cleared).

R_

0 Kudos