using secure wms layer in Flex Viewer

09-05-2014 08:28 AM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I've seen other posts on this but they don't seem to get me exactly where I need to be.  I am wanting to display a secure wms layer in my Flex Viewer and I can't seem to get it configured correctly.  There may be other underlying issues but I thought I would try here first to make sure I have the config right:

I have left out the password and username on purpose.

<layer type="wms" label="Valtus Imagery Services - VIEWS(TM)" url="http://www.valtus.com/wms/servlet/WMSServer" username="username" password="password" visible="true" visiblelayers="VCP_KS"/>

I've never really worked with a WMS service before so this is foreign to me.  I saw other posts about the crossdomain needing adjustment but I think I ended up messing it up more than I helped it.  The domain ip is my GIS server not the WMS layer.

Here is my latest version:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<!DOCTYPE cross-domain-policy SYSTEM "/xml/dtds/cross-domain-policy.dtd">

<cross-domain-policy>

<site-control permitted-cross-domain-policies="all"/>

<allow-access-from domain="70.167.59.150" />

<allow-http-request-headers-from domain="70.167.59.150" />

</cross-domain-policy>

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Anyone have any ideas on this?  I read that ArcGIS Online didn't allow this at all, is this the case for the Flex Viewer as well?  Is WMS an older technology that just isn't supported anymore?

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Josh,

can you choose to follow me so that I can send you a private message?

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Okay, it is done.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor

I'm guessing that Robert will help you Josh

Just some notes about WMS support in general.  It is supported by both ArcGIS Online (since 2011) and Flex Viewer (since 2010). If you read something else, it was probably an older note, or something specific to a particular WMS service.  Some of them can be more problematic than others to configure right.

OGC—Help | ArcGIS

ArcGIS Viewer for Flex - WMS etc 

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

That's good to know about ArcGIS Online.  I don't recall the date of that post so it may have been older.  I just found it while doing research in our Secure WMS services are configured.  I actually hadn't seen the WMS tag reference before.  I originally tried to set this up using the App Builder and it doesn't have any options to deal with a secure WMS service so that is where I started.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Josh,

By the way I tried that WMS service in the AppBuilder, and I get prompted for username/password. I don't have correct log ins so I don't know what happens next in this case. But might be worth a try. Depending on if you want your users to log in to that service or your app, you might have to manually edit the config file anyways.

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Yeah, that is the step I am having issues with.  I typed in the log ins but it still throws errors. 

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor

Valtus is an Esri partner according to their website.  You might want to contact them directly, or Esri Support.

Part of the problem is that WMS specification doesn't include support for user authentication, like Valtus mention in http://www.valtus.com/assets/Uploads/support-2/ViewsdetailedWMS.pdf

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Josh,

As Bjorn has pointed out there is an issue with the way security is implemented on this WMS service and the viewers support for secured WMS. It is going to be best to run this through Valtus support.

0 Kudos