Select to view content in your preferred language

Showing coordinate points on flex viewer map

03-01-2012 05:31 AM
dk
by
Emerging Contributor
I'd like to deploy the flex viewer for a client project, but I'm not sure how to integrate address data.  I've deployed the product on their server, and set the config file to show the appropriate area, but now I need a way to add long/lat points corresponding to geocoded addresses from a report.  These points will be stored in a separate Oracle database server, with a report ID.

So, I need to do two things.
1)  A way to either link the viewer to the coordinates in the database, or import the coordinates into the GIS server in whatever format makes sense.
2)  A way to pass the report ID to the viewer and use it to select which points to use, since multiple reports can be run simultaneously (or nearly simultaneously), and I only want to show the points for the calling report.  I can either store all the points in a single table, with a report ID column, or I can give each report a temp table, and use the report ID in the name of the table.  I'd prefer the former as being less cluttered, but I'm not going to quibble about it if the latter makes things easier or improves the performance significantly.

My question is whether there's a way to do this without custom programming, since I'm new to flash/flex.  I don't see much about this in the online documentation I've read so far, so I wanted to put this out here while I look over submitted code samples and the like.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MattiasEkström
Frequent Contributor
If custom programming is not an option I think your gonna have to go through ArcGIS Server. And it will probably be the best option anyway.
I actually haven't done this my self when it comes to Oracle databases but I think it should work. You can add the table in Arcmap and create an XY-event layer from it (if you have the coordinates in the table) and publish it as a map service.
In this case I think you should look in to Query Layer check the help topics about this here:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/What_is_a_query_layer/00s50000000n0000...

Then you publish it as a mapservice and then you can add the mapservice to your flex viewer.
0 Kudos
MarcGraham
Deactivated User
I have a similar system, but the points come from an Access database.

I have them served up as an XY event layer using an OLE DB connection to the database.  I had numerous issues connecting to the database directly, in the end this was the only reliable solution.

Then I have published the mxd through ArcGIS Server and added the event layer to the flex viewer.

I pass whatever feature ID I need to Rob Scheitlin's advanced search widget in the URL when the page loads, and it zooms to those records e.g. ?search=somevalue

Hope this helps.

Marc
0 Kudos
AndrewHargreaves
Deactivated User
Hi,
I am trying to do exactly the same thing, see workflow below.

• I have a Table inside of a personal GDB

• I bring the table into ArcMap, create an XY event layer

• I am unable to publish this as a map service and receive the error:

00004: Layer's data source is not supported

I'm working on v10. Do i need to bring this through OLE DB?
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Andrew,

You should try to use a File GDB or SDE when publishing for a map service.
0 Kudos