Run .rlf Reports from Flex Viewer

04-01-2014 12:55 PM
NicholasMcNamara
Occasional Contributor II
Is there a way to do this? If there are more than one way, any suggestions would be helpful.

I have a few reports that I run from Desktop right now, and I'd like to give Flex Viewer users the ability to run them themselves to save myself some time and enable them to get them quicker.

Thanks,

Nick
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
GeorgeHaskett
Occasional Contributor III
I use a python script to update my data, while at the same time generate the reports that are linked to the web map using the linklist widget.  The script is scheduled to run as often as necessary.

The script would be easier to view if I emailed it to you.

Haskett
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
George:

Can you explain your process in more detail as I am interested to see if your process can be used to handle one of my organization's business needs that is normally done in ArcGIS Desktop?
0 Kudos
GeorgeHaskett
George:

Can you explain your process in more detail as I am interested to see if your process can be used to handle one of my organization's business needs that is normally done in ArcGIS Desktop?

I have written a python script that is scheduled to run at certain times throughout the day.
This script, depending upon which version, either goes out and downloads a csv file from the web, like earthquake data, or copies a table view from our production servers and stores the data on our GIS server.  I then process the data using arcpy and run a report also using arcpy and the rlf file, then force the service to update based upon the new changes.

I use it in a few different scenarios.  It would be easier to email you an example and you can read through the code comments, etc.  Then you can see the entire code and not just a portion of it.

Send me a private message and I can email you a script to look over.  It has become rather useful.  Certain versions of the script can be used to both maintain and ongoing viewer for flex web map or use a template to build a new app for a unique request.

Haskett
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
I just sent you a private message.  Please let me know if you received it.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
GeorgeHaskett
Is there a way to do this? If there are more than one way, any suggestions would be helpful.

I have a few reports that I run from Desktop right now, and I'd like to give Flex Viewer users the ability to run them themselves to save myself some time and enable them to get them quicker.

Thanks,

Nick

Nick,

As for running the report directly from Viewer for Flex on an as needed basis, you might be able to build a model, publish it to a geoprocessing tool and connect it via the widget.  Then they would click on the link and enter any required data, etc.  In theory that should work, I have never tried it with publishing a report though.

Haskett
0 Kudos
AdamInglis
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick,

I'm facing the exact same scenario, let me know if you come up with a solution, I'm going to give the model builder suggestion a try.

Cheers,

Adam
0 Kudos