Robert's shapefile widget and M and Z values

11-18-2013 03:54 PM
ScottMcGee
Occasional Contributor
I'm using Robert Sheitlin's excellent shapefile widget (Version 3.4) to allow users to import shapefiles into their map. Today one of our users received a shapefile from a client and it would not import. I investigated the issue and found that the shapefile had both M and Z values enabled. I suspected this might be the problem, so I used ArcToolbox (Copy Features) to make a copy of the shapefile without M and Z values. This new copy then successfully imported into the map using Robert's shapefile widget.

I just thought I'd share this tip, in case anyone else experiences the same issue.

Scott
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Scott,

Version 3.2.1 - Apr 3, 2013
* Added support for Shapefile with Z and M values. These were causing the widget to hang previously.

I am not sure why you are still having this issue in version 3.4... Can you share the shapefile with the issues?
0 Kudos
ScottMcGee
Occasional Contributor
Scott,

Version 3.2.1 - Apr 3, 2013
* Added support for Shapefile with Z and M values. These were causing the widget to hang previously.

I am not sure why you are still having this issue in version 3.4... Can you share the shapefile with the issues?

Hello Robert,

Thanks for offering to look into this. I've attached the shapefile in question.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Scott,

I just tested it against my live preview site and it work like a charm...?
0 Kudos
ScottMcGee
Occasional Contributor
Well, that figures - it's like taking your car to a mechanic to fix a rattle, and once in the shop the rattle magically goes away.

Thanks for checking into that. I'll dig into it deeper on our system and see if I can figure out why the import is hanging. Must be something unique to our system, rather than with the widget itself.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Scott,

What Version of ArcGIS Server are you using? Are you using esris geometry service (if so don't, point to your own instead).
0 Kudos
ScottMcGee
Occasional Contributor
Robert,

We're using ArcGIS Server 10.1 and yes, I'm pointing to our own geometry service - not ESRI's.

But boy, do I feel like a heel right now. I dug into our documentation and see that we're actually using version 3.1.3 of your Shapefile widget (at least that's what's in the header comments of our ShapeFilesWidget_1.xml). So that's apparently the problem.

I'll update to the 3.4 version tomorrow and see how it goes. Should work. Sorry for the confusion!

Scott

P.S. I just now downloaded and installed Version 3.4 of your widget and of course it works perfectly. So please disregard my brain lapse. That'll teach me to always check our documentation before posting!
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Scott,

FYI on almost all of my current widgets you can check for the version by holding the ALT key and clicking on the widgets title.
0 Kudos
ScottMcGee
Occasional Contributor
Robert,

Holy smokes - I didn't know that. That is a great feature - ESRI and every widget author out there should follow your lead and do this.

Just goes to show why you're the widget king!

Thanks for the tip.
Scott
0 Kudos