REST Services Directory Disabled and Flex Mapping Apps

03-05-2014 07:20 AM
AaronKreag
Occasional Contributor
Maybe someone can comment on this....

With older versions of the Flex viewer, when the REST services directory was disabled you would get polygons on the map but none of the widgets worked...no popup, no search, etc.

The newer version of the viewer you can now get popups while the Services Directory is disabled but still the search widget, including Robert's awesome esearch widget will not work.  It looks like maybe there is another URL option for the REST service that will enable the tools to work when its disabled but I hit a wall on the intel.

MapServer?f=jsapi or MapServer?f=amf

Anyone figured out a way to "hide" your services from the world while at the same time exposing them and all of the functionality through the Flex viewer?

It seems silly that we would have to keep that directory open to the world just to use the flex viewer.

Thank you!

Aaron
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JanieGoddard
Occasional Contributor III
Maybe someone can comment on this....

Anyone figured out a way to "hide" your services from the world while at the same time exposing them and all of the functionality through the Flex viewer?

It seems silly that we would have to keep that directory open to the world just to use the flex viewer.

Thank you!

Aaron

Hi Aaron,
    Which version of ArcGIS Server are you on? In the 10.1 install of the web adaptor, you can leave the default blank on the option "Enable administrative access to your site through the web adaptor." I was under the impression this would hide the web services and they would be available to your flex viewer. I not sure of this however.
You can check this out at the Web Adaptor install short video clip:
http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2012/06/20/new-videos-walk-you-through-arcgis-10-1-for-server/
Check out the third video clip on installing the Web Adaptor. You might have to put :6080 after your server name in the URL you use in the flex viewer. I didn't use this option. So this was what I got the impression the video way saying. I have not tried this however!
Good luck,
Janie
0 Kudos