I'm finding that the OOTB print widget takes too long to generate the print. A letter-sized takes around 10 seconds and a tabloid-sized takes 20-25 seconds. When I create my own template, which has more map area on the print, it takes about 35 seconds for a tabloid-size. 10 seconds seems acceptable but anything more and it seems like there's something wrong from the end-user standpoint.
I've been unable to find what might cause it to be so slow. Is everyone seeing their prints take this long? If not, what factors might be causing such a thing on my end?
I'm novice in 10.1 and web- printing. I upgrade my AGS WG to 10.1 sp1 last month at Win 2008R2 HP ML350G4p 8 RAM server. I build Web application with Flex builder with 9 services (2 tiled, 4 feature and other dynamic). And my Print widget generate pdf A4 Landscape 600 dpi 1.5 Mb during 4-5 minutes.
I think it is long too. I used ArcIMS 9.2 before AGS with this hardware and I could create such pdf during 1-2 minutes. I need tips, advices, links about web printing\export optimisation also.
I have no tiled services. I do have dynamic services(2) with labeling but if I turn off the layers that are labeled, it makes no difference.
I'll experiment with removing services/layers and see what happens.
and for what it's worth, when using the pchPrintSOE widget, it prints in a few seconds for the same map extent/contents. (i would continue to use it but am having issues with it at 3.6 so I'm trying to go with the OOTB print)
I inform my local support in Russia about this problem. Annotation layer slow print/export to pdf isn't Flex widget problem and was found from JS Viewer also. It is ArcGIS Server problem. Our local support said he informed ESRI support about possible bug. He also found export to PDF is more quick after first export to JPG.
I checked his expirience and I found
1.Export to PDF map with 1 anno layer 1:2000 A4 600 dpi before export to JPG lasted about 1 minute 2.Export to PDF map with 1 anno layer 1:2000 A4 600 dpi after export to JPG lasted about 11 seconds.
I experimented a little and am not finding the same results. A print export takes just as long when choosing PDF as JPG for me.
I have one basemap layer and one map service as an operational layer. I've tried removing one or the other then doing a print and am seeing no change in the amount of time for the print. Turning particular layers on or off doesn't change anything either.
What I found in the end though was that it appears to be the DPI. I had mine set at 250. When I set it to the default of 96, a print that had taken 30+ seconds, took only 5-7 seconds. I'd really rather use the higher DPI but it would seem that that is too much of a hindrance. Hopefully ESRI will take a look at the DPI related issues with the print widget.
Let me know if you see the same results with a lowered dpi.