Select to view content in your preferred language

Preview of two great new widgets coming out mid January 2011

12-30-2010 10:46 AM
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
All,

I have been working hard on two great new widgets that I want you to preview. The final versions will be made available Mid January 2011 and submitted to the Flex a Widget competition.

http://www.esri.com/events/devsummit/get-involved/widget-challenge.html

The first is a new route widget for FlexViewer 2.2

Its' feature include:

• Up to ten stops that can be added to the map interactively or by single line address matching using Bing geocoder.

• Up to ten point barriers that can be added in the same fashion as stops.

• Interactively added stops and barriers are automatically reverse geocoded.

• You can calculate by time or distance and optionally use best sequence.

• Route segments can be individually clicked in the directions list and visualized using a polyline animation (Thanks to Mark Deaton).

• The big deal for this widget is its' printing capability. Both direct printer output and PDF output are supported. Multi page output with headers and footers and the option to include the large route image are all included. The individual direction segments have maneuver arrows that are included by default but can optionally be turned off. Things like configuring alternating directions background color can also be configured.

So if you are a developer and don't care about routing but want to know how to do moderately advanced multi page printing and AlivePDF techniques than this widget is for you.

Preview here:
http://gis.calhouncounty.org/FlexViewer2.2/index.html?config=config-route.xml

The second one is a new infoTemplate for featurelayers.

The Attachment Relate Info Window Widgets' features include:

• Ability to specify which fields are displayed

• Specify one link field that will display as a clickable text or an actual image in the info window

• Buttons at the bottom of the window for Zooming to feature, querying attachments, querying related features or tables

• Attachments are preview only and are displayed in a custom grid popup not the standard attachment inspector.

• Relates are initially displayed in a grid that allows for the selection of which related feature you want to preview and then when you choose the one you want to see then a floating datagrid is displayed with the related records.

In the examples below click on the point in the screen.

Preview of attachment and link capability:
http://gis.calhouncounty.org/FlexViewer2.2/index.html?config=config-attachment.xml

Preview of related feature capability:
http://gis.calhouncounty.org/FlexViewer2.2/index.html?config=config-relate.xml

preview of image link in info window:
http://gis.calhouncounty.org/FlexViewer2.2/index.html?config=config-infoimage.xml
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
156 Replies
MarkSmith1
Occasional Contributor
Hi Robert,

I'm having problems getting the sample sites to run - it looks like the sample data isn't coming in. I'm anxiously awaiting the related info tool though! 😄

Thanks.

Mark
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Mark,

Strange I just checked the sample links and they are functioning. Which link is not working for you?
0 Kudos
MarkSmith1
Occasional Contributor
Two of the three related info examples aren't working - the one with Kansas Wells and the SF 3-1-1 calls. The feature layers don't seem to want to draw so as a result I can't test out the new widgets. Are they working for you?
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Mark,

I have checked, and those links definitely work... Maybe your network is blocking them... Try viewing them from another location like once you get home or something.
0 Kudos
MarkSmith1
Occasional Contributor
Will do. Thanks!
0 Kudos
KFBONG
by
New Contributor
hi Robert,

On item 6, is it possible for the Widget to first disable the attachments related features buttons where the feature has no such data?  It will be better than let the user click to find out there is no related information. However, this will be a careful choice due to performance penalty to query for the existence of data upfront.

10. List out Multiple features at a location (within search radius). e.g. mouse click on a location with more than 1 camera icons 'nearby', list them out in InfoTemplate together with their thumnails and active hyperlinks.

Thanks,
Kf

All,

I thought I would add another feature that many people have requested.

The Attachment Relate Info Window Widgets' features include:

1. Ability to specify which fields are displayed
   2. Specify Multiple hyperlinks that will display as a click-able text or an actual image in the info window or additional buttons at the bottom of the info window.
   3. All links will have the ability to have a prefix and suffix added to them.
   4. Linkalias can be defined for each link and will be used as the click-able text or the tooltip of the image or button.
   5. When you specify the hyperlink you specify how you want it to appear in the info window (i.e. text, meaning click-able label, img, meaning the link is to a url of an image so a thumbnail of the image appears in the info window, or icon, meaning that a additional button is added to the bottom of the info window that when clicked opens the specified url.
   6. Buttons at the bottom of the window for Zooming to feature, querying attachments, querying related features or tables.
   7. Attachments are preview only and are displayed in a custom grid popup not the standard attachment inspector.
   8. Relates are initially displayed in a grid that allows for the selection of which related feature you want to preview and then when you choose.
   9. Multi Image support. What this does is allows you to specify a field that has comma separated image file names and optionally use a link prefix and suffix to allow for multiple images to be visible in the info window. Moving from one image to the next is controlled using simple text links ( <prev and next>).
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
KF,

I did consider number 6, the issue is that the trade off is to high. It take serveral seconds for an attribute query to return with weather or not there are any actual attachments. And there is no since have the attachment button act one way and the relate act another even though I could quicly discover if there are relates available.

Your request for number 10 would be a coding nightmare to try and make this work in all possible scenarios.

Thanks for the suggestions though.
0 Kudos
SimonMorgan
Regular Contributor
Just thought of one other request, although I am sure you don't have time to do it for the initial release. But if you could consider it for the future - the ability to manually reorder the stops.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Simon,

Yep that is a pretty complicated one too. I will take a look and consider it.

Thanks
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
All,

9. Multi Image support. What this does is allows you to specify a field that has comma separated image file names and optionally use a link prefix and suffix to allow for multiple images to be visible in the info window. Moving from one image to the next is controlled using the simple next and prev icons in the new multiImage control.

To preview this new capability just click the horse or the baseball bat in this link.

http://gis.calhouncounty.org/FlexViewer2.2/index.html?config=config-infoimage.xml
0 Kudos