Select to view content in your preferred language

Point Buffer Widget Spatial Reference

Jump to solution
06-26-2012 06:23 PM
JosephAccardi
Regular Contributor
Robert, I am using your point buffer widget in my FV 3.0 application. I'm having a little trouble with it. If I use the default spatial reference (102003), found in the config file, and I place a point in northern New Jersey, the buffer that is generated is placed on the western coast of Africa. If I change the spatial reference to 3857 (WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere) the buffer is generated around the point (like it should), but the radius of the buffer value I enter in is about 30% less than what it should be (i.e. I want a 100-mile buffer, but the one that is generated has a radius of 70-75 miles). It definitely seems like I have a coordinate conversion issue, but I can't find where I can make the fix. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JosephAccardi
Regular Contributor
I finially figured out my issue. After matching the Point Buffer's WKID with my map's WKID the buffer that was being created was still showing up in Africa. Then I remembered that I changed by geometry service URL from the default ArcGIS Online's geometry service to the one that comes pre-loaded with ArcGIS Server. When I switched it back to the ArcGIS Online geometry service, the Point Buffer tool worked perfectly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Joe,

So what is the Spatial Reference of your map? What version of ArcGIS Server are you using.
0 Kudos
JosephAccardi
Regular Contributor
This may sound stupid, but I'm not 100% sure. The map application is consuming 5 map services. The MXDs in which the map services were published from have a data frame coordinate system of WGS 1984 Web Mercator (auxiliary sphere) and contains data layers mostly in State Plane NAD 83 NJ (ft) coordinate system. Therefore I would assume that my FV map application retains the spatial reference of its map services and is in WGS 1984 Web Mercator (auxiliary sphere) (WKID 3857). Is this an accurate assumption? I don't believe there's any place in the FV environment where a spatial reference can be set for the map application.

I'm also using ArcGIS Server 10.1 final.

Thanks
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Joe,

So the map gets the WKID (Spatial reference) from the first layer that is loaded just like ArcMap unless explicitly set otherwise. The spatialReference in the BufferDistanceWidget.xml should match the WKID of the map.
0 Kudos
JosephAccardi
Regular Contributor
I finially figured out my issue. After matching the Point Buffer's WKID with my map's WKID the buffer that was being created was still showing up in Africa. Then I remembered that I changed by geometry service URL from the default ArcGIS Online's geometry service to the one that comes pre-loaded with ArcGIS Server. When I switched it back to the ArcGIS Online geometry service, the Point Buffer tool worked perfectly.
0 Kudos
GIS-Cambria
Frequent Contributor
I'm also testing the OTB geometry service on AGIS 10.1. I'm getting errors, so I've tried to confirm the tool is even hitting my geometry service but I can't see any activity on my services. I've even shut down the geometry service and used the standard draw tool to see if that works or throws an error. Oddly enough, with the geometry service url commented out of the config file, and my service shut down, I still get results??? Anyone have a theory for me?
0 Kudos
GIS-Cambria
Frequent Contributor
UPDATE: I've found that I had to clear browser history to get the geometry service to hit the correct server (mine) instead of AGIS. Diagnostic tools are helpful...

Back to the original discussion about WKID... and the buffer results. I use the tool and buffer a point to 50 miles, then I use the standard draw tool and measure a radius from the point to the outline of the buffer and I get conflicting results. With the SR set to 102100 I got about 38.05 miles instead of 50. I've also noticed that the standard draw tool does not hit my geometry service (or any) for the calculations?  Can anyone shed light on this?
0 Kudos