Select to view content in your preferred language

labels with backgrounds

04-16-2013 02:55 AM
MikeSmith7
Emerging Contributor
I have been trying to publish my layer and keep getting "Layer is using unsupported setting (KML)".  Is there a way in the flex viewer to change the label background.  I simply want a label that has a solid background so that it stands out.  Does anyone have a way to either publish the service with the label style I want or change it in flex?

As well, is there a code I can put in the text to add a carriage return, that is a bonus.

Thanks,
Mike
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MattPohl
Frequent Contributor
Hi Mike,

I don't use KML in any of my services, but it looks like you are running into the issue described here: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00sq000000r9000000

It appears that ArcGIS doesn't support halos (backgrounds) for KML layers. Unless someone has found a workaround you might be stuck using a standard label with the KML. You could always convert the KML to a feature class before publishing and your labels will come through just fine.

Matt
0 Kudos
MikeSmith7
Emerging Contributor
Hi Mike,

I don't use KML in any of my services, but it looks like you are running into the issue described here: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00sq000000r9000000

It appears that ArcGIS doesn't support halos (backgrounds) for KML layers. Unless someone has found a workaround you might be stuck using a standard label with the KML. You could always convert the KML to a feature class before publishing and your labels will come through just fine.

Matt

Unfortunately my labels are dynamic and generated by our vehicle tracking data.  We change label and add a time stamp if a vehicle has not reported in for a particular duration or if other events occur.
0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor
Unfortunately my labels are dynamic and generated by our vehicle tracking data.  We change label and add a time stamp if a vehicle has not reported in for a particular duration or if other events occur.

So, do you not have AcrGIS Server or something?
Otherwise, is there a particular reason that you are loading it as KML in the first place and not just publishing as a "normal" service so the labels work as "expected"?

by "normal" I mean from a feature class or event theme.

R_
0 Kudos