Issues w GeoMac GeoRSS Feed

06-09-2014 08:36 AM
GeorgeHaskett
Occasional Contributor III
Hello,

So far I have been able to create GeoRSS feeds from the following sources:

MODIS GeoRSS Feed
USGS Earthquake GeoRSS Feed

However I have not been successful with creating a GeoRSS feed via the data source from GeoMac:

GeoMac GeoRSS Feed

I keep getting the following error messages:

Fault code: Channel.Security.Error
Fault info: Security error accessing url
Fault details: Destination: DefaultHTTP

Has anyone been able to use the GeoMac data?
Does anyone have any suggestions?

If anyone can get the GeoMac feed shown above to work, please respond.

Thanks,

George

Viewer for Flex 3.6
ArcGIS 10.2
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
Since their site does not have a crossdomain.xml file, are you using a proxy page?  The other two sites you list already have a crossdomain.xml file, and thus no proxy is needed.
0 Kudos
GeorgeHaskett
No, I'm not too familiar with using proxy pages.  I was trying to figure out how to use their feed service.

I had hoped, seeing how they both (earthquake and wildfire feeds) appear to be associated with the federal govt. that I would be able to use them both in a similar manner.

Do I need to access them via a proxy page?

Thanks

George
0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
Do I need to access them via a proxy page?

Yes, since they don't have a crossdomain.xml file.  And presumably your application is not hosted on their domain.

These pages have more info on proxy pages:
https://developers.arcgis.com/flex/guide/using-the-proxy-page.htm
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/flex-viewer/concepts/index.html#/Using_a_proxy_page/01m30000000w...
0 Kudos
GeorgeHaskett
Thanks,

Looks like I might need the IT section to look into this seeing how it appears that I cannot host the proxy on my ArcGIS server.
Hopefully I can get this resolved in the next week or so...

Thanks again, I'll update the forum when I've managed to get through this.

George
0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
...how it appears that I cannot host the proxy on my ArcGIS server.

Remember that the proxy would be on the same server as your application (which might be different from your ArcGIS Server machine).

https://developers.arcgis.com/flex/guide/deploying-your-application.htm
0 Kudos
GeorgeHaskett
Okay, can you clarify a few things for me?

My Viewer for Flex webmap is located on the same server as my ArcGIS Server software and data.  At the current time we are only running one server for both as the GIS program, in general, is still in beta mode for the entity I work for.  We are producing internal webmaps for company consumption using both services we create and services created by others.

In the case of the GeoMac GeoRSS feed, it appears that they don't have a crossdomain file, and as such I will need to create a proxy page in order to consume their data.  Is this correct thus far?

Quickly reading over the following statement, I was under the understanding that the proxy page cannot run on the same server as the ArcGIS Server.

The proxy runs on your local web server, not on an Esri server or on the computer where ArcGIS Server is installed (unless your web server also hosts the ArcGIS Server instance).

However after reading it again, it appears that I can download and set up the proxy page on my ArcGIS server seeing how both my webmap and my ArcGIS Server instance is on the same server.  Is that correct?

I'm not a server guy, so please let me know if I am understanding you correctly.

Thanks,

George
0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
...as such I will need to create a proxy page in order to consume their data.  Is this correct thus far?

Yes.

it appears that I can download and set up the proxy page on my ArcGIS server seeing how both my webmap and my ArcGIS Server instance is on the same server.  Is that correct?

Yes. Think of the proxy as a helper to your application (which is why it needs to be on the same server as your application).
0 Kudos