inetub on system drive (C) or another drive, possible?

Jump to solution
06-17-2014 12:47 PM
TimHayes
Occasional Contributor III
For writing, storing, editing, creating files under C:/inetpub for Flex Viewer App (compiled), must I work under c:/inetpub on my system drive OR can I create the same folder on my server machine's d drive and run the Flex viewer (compiled) from here?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimHayes
Robert, your idea sounded like it made perfect sense. However, I did that, and it appears that the web server could not communicate with /arcgis. I opened our flex viewer and got a 404.

I did this more as an experiment. I think during the initial installation IIS and/or ArcGIS Web Service needs to be configured for the other drive.

I decided to change the physical address back to the default (C drive). It works ok now.

I do not feel like uninstalling and reinstalling any software. No need since all is working good.

Thanks for making the effort to help me. If I am ever in your neck of the woods one day I will stop by and buy you a beer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Tim,

IIS can be configured to use another drive. This is not really a flex viewer question though so I would suggest looking at the IIS documentation. Look for the "Physical Path" Advanced Setting Property (which by default is set to %SystemDrive%\inetpub\wwwroot).
0 Kudos
TimHayes
I already installed IIS Web for ArcGIS Server 10.2.2. and Flex Viewer (Compiled) on c:/inetpub/wwwroot.

If I change from the system drive to my d drive, will I need to reinstall ArcGIS web server and Flex Viewer Compiled to the d drive?
0 Kudos
TimHayes
Or... do I need to manually create the folder and subfolders under inetpub on the d drive after I change the physical drive from c to d?
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Tim,

I have never tried to change the IIS physical path after installing ArcGIS Server, so I am not sure. I would try and just copy the ArcGIS Server "arcgis" folder to the D:\ and do the same with the "flexviewers" folder. If ArcGIS Server does not work properly than just uninstall it and reinstall usinf the new D:\
0 Kudos
TimHayes
Thanks, Robert. That is exactly what I am doing.

I created a folder on the D drive named \WebApps

From the C:\inetpub\wwwroot I copied \arcgis to \WebApps

I then unzipped the Flexviewer 3.6 Compiled Version under \Webapps which created a folder named flexviewer

I then changed the physical path of the ArcGIS virtual folder in IIS from C:\inetpub\wwwroot\arcgis to D:\WebApps\arcgis

I will let you know how it goes.
0 Kudos
TimHayes
Robert, your idea sounded like it made perfect sense. However, I did that, and it appears that the web server could not communicate with /arcgis. I opened our flex viewer and got a 404.

I did this more as an experiment. I think during the initial installation IIS and/or ArcGIS Web Service needs to be configured for the other drive.

I decided to change the physical address back to the default (C drive). It works ok now.

I do not feel like uninstalling and reinstalling any software. No need since all is working good.

Thanks for making the effort to help me. If I am ever in your neck of the woods one day I will stop by and buy you a beer.
0 Kudos