Select to view content in your preferred language

Help with AGOL and Flex Viewer

01-11-2013 06:59 AM
JosephNigro
New Contributor
I have been fooling around with ArGIS On-line and I've run into some dead ends, I think. I suppose in AGOL I can't sync the mouse movement with the data to perform a "mouse over"? Not sure if that is the right term - - when you move your mouse over a feature and information about that feature pops up without actually having to click the feature? Am I correct in thinking it is not possible to do this in AGOL?

I have also been playing with ArcGIS Viewer for Flex but I am so confused about adding my own operational layers (I guess I can convert the shapefiles from ArcMap to map services and then open them up that way by inserting the mapserver URL in the config.xml). Problem is I can't  access this REST endpoint to reference my service URL. It's just not there on my machine. I read last night that I need to have ArcGIS Server to do this?  Is that correct? If I don't need Server, does anyone want to tell me how to do this step by step. I am not finding any clear web sites to instruct me on how to do this.

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor II
Joseph,

Yes you are correct that you need ArcGIS Server to serve your own data and access the REST endpoint.

You can create a map on AGOL for free (limitation of 1000 features in a shapefile) and bring that into your flex application, see "Defining data from a published web map" here:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/flex-viewer/concepts/index.html#/Main_configuration_file/01m3000...

I also believe that you can buy a subscription to AGOL which allows you to share your own data to a server in the cloud which you can then access via a REST endpoint in the flex viewer. You would have to contact your ESRI rep for pricing as it looks quite complicated.

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos