Select to view content in your preferred language

Generating Reports, Statistics Widget

12-06-2012 04:40 AM
LiamCollins
Emerging Contributor
Hi there,

I have a flex viewer site which is ultimately an inventory report I am looking for a widget which can display statistics, generate reports.
The Charts/Statistics widget is unsuitable for the way I want to display my data. I would be looking for something which could display data in a table something like this.

Equipment Type-      Quantitiy
Equipment Type A-      2
Equipment Type B-      7
Equipment Type C-       5
Equipment Type D-      9

I have a polygon feature layer which with a unique GUID, inventory is contained in a dBase folder with the GUID linked to inventory. My end goal is to select a polygon feature which will generate a report in a popup window showing a table similar to the example above.

We have used the method of being able to display PDF inventory reports in the past, I am trying to create a method of generating live reports as inventory gets updated without having to replace PDFs. Is this possible?

My data is setup to generate Crystal Reports offline however as much as I have looked I cannot find a widget with these capabilities. Does it or anything similar exist out there in widget form for generating reports/statistics?

Thanks in advance,
Liam
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Liam,

That is something that is a little to case specific for a generic widget to be produced for it. There is nothing that I know of out there for your use case. The solution would be to develop it your self or contract a consulting company to develop it for you.
0 Kudos
LiamCollins
Emerging Contributor
Robert,

The more I research it the more I�??m realizing this is the way I will have to go.
Am I right in thinking I will have to build something in Application Builder, How difficult is something like this to do and is it programming intensive?

I am relatively new to programming with little experience other than customizing off the shelf widgets in Flex Viewer 3.0; I have some people around me with some limited programming experience.

Liam
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Liam,

Actually it would be Flash Builder (probably what you meant). As far as level of effort and complexity, probably not beginner stuff, and the report generation definitely not.
0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor
Liam,

You really didn't say much about what is being "generated", so don't know if this would apply, but just a thought.

Your example looks like a simple 1:1 table.  Couldn't you just have a "Equipment Type", and a "Quantity" field, and just have it display in a popup when you click on the polygon?

Better yet, you could use the eSearchWidget, select the polygon of interest  and have it come up in a saveable/printable datagrid.

Assuming that the quantities are what are generated/calculated, would it be possible to just have a python script do the math and update your "Quantity" field on a nightly basis?

This would be much simpler than trying to develop an actual widget to do this.

R_
0 Kudos
LiamCollins
Emerging Contributor
Liam,

Actually it would be Flash Builder (probably what you meant). As far as level of effort and complexity, probably not beginner stuff, and the report generation definitely not.

My mistake yes Flash Builder.

R

The Architecture of our data is slightly more complicated than this.
The polygon has a GUID which links the Equipment to a physical location in the inventory dBase file. beyond this each equipment type has a GUID which links to an EquipmentType dBase containing a description of equipment. There is also a link to an InventorySurvey GUID which links to an InventorySurvey dbase containing information on when the survey was done, by who etc. So as you can see our relationship is more like 1:3 perhaps I should have explained this originally.

As i said the way it is setup allows us to generate crystal reports offline however I am looking to develop something which can generate these reports or something similar through our viewer.
0 Kudos