Select to view content in your preferred language

Create Dynamic Map Services Using ArcGIS for Desktop or ArcGIS Online

02-28-2013 05:21 AM
JoelHodder
New Contributor II
Hello,

Could someone please confirm if it's possible to create a dynamic map service using either ArcGIS for Desktop or ArcGIS Online (preferably ArcGIS for Desktop)? We do not have ArcGIS for Server. We would like to utilise the more flexible organisation of layers in the Layer List widget or TOC widget that a dynamic map service would provide (i.e. sub-groups).

Many thanks in advance,

Joel
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
GISDev1
Occasional Contributor III
You will need ArcGIS For Server to create your own Map Services on your own network.

You can use an ArcGIS Online For Organizations account with publisher or admin privileges to create Map Services on Esri's ArcGIS Server instances.
0 Kudos
JoelHodder
New Contributor II
You will need ArcGIS For Server to create your own Map Services on your own network.

You can use an ArcGIS Online For Organizations account with publisher or admin privileges to create Map Services on Esri's ArcGIS Server instances.

Thanks for your reply GISDev01.

I have used ArcGIS for Desktop toolbox tools to create a tile cache package (.tpk) which I have then successfully uploaded to ArcGIS Online and created a map service from there. I have also created map services in ArcGIS Online using ArcMap's File>Share As>Service wizard. However, all of these map services are hosted tile services rather than dynamic map services.

I am trying to create a web map, using the Flex or Silverlight APIs, that can display a traditional ArcMap table of contents (i.e. with the ability to arrange and toggle all sub-layers and group layers on/off). I have tried using Robert Scheitlin's TOC widget, the Layer List widget and the MapSwitcher widget but I don't know of a way to achieve my desired result without dynamic map services.

I have also created feature services, but can only get these to display as individual feature layers in the TOC or Layerlist widgets.

I will have quite a lot of layers in my map and need some form of organisation, rather than just a long list of ungrouped layers.

Does anyone know of a way of achieving this without having access to dynamic map services?

Thanks,

Joel
0 Kudos
JoelHodder
New Contributor II
I just thought I'd give this thread a cheeky bump as it's midnight here in the UK, and most of the users on the forums are in the States. Maybe I'll wake up in the morning with a positive reply... or maybe not...!

Cheers!
0 Kudos
GISDev1
This will all depend on your ArcGIS Online account.

What kind of account is it and is it for your organization or what? If you have access to host tiled services and Feature services, you should have access for Map Services as well, I would think. It all uses the same backened (ArcGIS Server of course).

This isn't really a Flex question at all, but it's not a complicated question either.
0 Kudos
JoelHodder
New Contributor II
This will all depend on your ArcGIS Online account.

What kind of account is it and is it for your organization or what? If you have access to host tiled services and Feature services, you should have access for Map Services as well, I would think. It all uses the same backened (ArcGIS Server of course).

This isn't really a Flex question at all, but it's not a complicated question either.

It's an ArcGIS Online for Organizations account. Currently in a 30-day free trial period. I have access to map services, just not dynamic map services, only tiled map services.

Thanks
0 Kudos
GISDev1
It's an ArcGIS Online for Organizations account. Currently in a 30-day free trial period. I have access to map services, just not dynamic map services, only tiled map services.

Thanks

Well then you answered your own question if you're sure that you can't create a MapServer Service through ArcGIS Online.
No, there is no way to create one with ArcGIS Desktop. You need access to the ArcGIS Server technology, whether that' through your own ArcGIS Server instance or through the ArcGIS Online frontend to use Esri's ArcGIS Server instances in the "cloud" (aka probably Akamai or Amazon's servers).
0 Kudos
JoelHodder
New Contributor II
Well then you answered your own question if you're sure that you can't create a MapServer Service through ArcGIS Online.
No, there is no way to create one with ArcGIS Desktop. You need access to the ArcGIS Server technology, whether that' through your own ArcGIS Server instance or through the ArcGIS Online frontend to use Esri's ArcGIS Server instances in the "cloud" (aka probably Akamai or Amazon's servers).

I was just looking for confirmation. I cannot find a way to create dynamic map services using my ArcGIS for Desktop license or my ArcGIS Online for Organizations account, but was interested to see if anyone else knew of a way.

More of a Flex specific question: is it possible to organize layers (feature service layers etc.) into group layers using the Flex Viewer, so that I don't have a long, unorganized list of all the layers in my map?
0 Kudos