Coordinate Menu Widget - New !

02-17-2011 07:51 PM
Drew
by
Occasional Contributor III
Hello Everyone,
I created a new widget that you might find useful.
Tucked away in the map context menu are three XY operations

1.     Copy XY
   2.     Project XY (configurable)
   3.     Go To XY

ReadMe.txt included

Hope you find it useful!

Click Here to demo and download the Coordinate Menu Widget

Drew
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
95 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor
It's weird... If someone can give any idea...
This widget (GoTo) only work if the map is in webmercator? Any ideas?
Thanks!

The widget seems to work fine with map in State Plane Wa South, NAD83 meters.

R_

I am using ArcGIS Server 10.0 sp2
0 Kudos
JeffersonFerreira_Ferreira
New Contributor III
The widget seems to work fine with map in State Plane Wa South, NAD83 meters.

R_

You have tested with coordinates in degrees?
0 Kudos
MegPeterson
New Contributor III
Hi there - My maps are also in StatePlane and the widget works using WGS84 decimal degrees wkid = 4326. Are you using 10.1. I remember seeing something about updating the geometry service referenced in the .xml to a 10.1 service, if so. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.... ;-/

R - thanks for the input! Will try out your suggestions. Glad I'm not the only one chicken pecking through this. Thanks!
0 Kudos
New Contributor III
Hi there - My maps are also in StatePlane and the widget works using WGS84 decimal degrees wkid = 4326. Are you using 10.1. I remember seeing something about updating the geometry service referenced in the .xml to a 10.1 service, if so. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.... ;-/

R - thanks for the input! Will try out your suggestions. Glad I'm not the only one chicken pecking through this. Thanks!

It's strange... All I want is the CoordinateWidget (bottom left corner) showed in DD.DD, Live Coordinates (CoordinateMenuWidget) in DD.DD too and the GoTo working. But I dont know whats happening. Its Attached the eight possible combinations of wkid (at <map> tag), basemap order (bing or my image service - 4326 - as first basemap) and type (dynamic or tiled). Ever one of these combinations result at least in one problem, either coordinates in meters (webmercator) or bing maps not loaded or GoTo fail ("Error projecting coordinates"). I'm using the ArcGIS Server 10, so I couldn't update de geometry service to 10.1.

If someone can give a help I will be grateful.
0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor
I finally figured out to just give up on wanting any Bing imagery in there if you want things to work correctly.  OR, convert you map to mercator and live with it.

As far as I have found, you can't  load a Bing layer (VETiledlayer) as type dynamic, so will NEVER re-project on the fly to "my" data coordinate system.  I have tested with loading the Bing service into ArcMap document, and publish as a service on my server with my coodinate system.  It "works", but not very fast (reprojecting a service of a service), and probably violates one or more of the useage agreements.

Anyway, I gave up on Bing maps becase of this.  In fact, by looking at your attachment, it appears as if you have it working correctly if you drop the Bing layers.
Your "chart" says you have loaded Bing maps as dynamic.  Did you actually find a way to do this, or are you just putting type="dynamic" in the layer tag and hoping/thinking it is actually being loaded this way.  Last I knew this was not possible.

So, if you load your layer first, it will set the wkid to the wkid of that layer.  All other layers in the SAME coordinate system can be loaded as tiled(or dynamic) (as long as the tiling scheme is identical), any other services in "another" wkid will have to be loaded as dynamic.  So, that does not leave an option to utilize Bing (tiled only AFAIK) unless you switch your map to mercator, then that is the live coordinates you will get.

R_
0 Kudos
New Contributor III
I finally figured out to just give up on wanting any Bing imagery in there if you want things to work correctly.  OR, convert you map to mercator and live with it.

As far as I have found, you can't  load a Bing layer (VETiledlayer) as type dynamic, so will NEVER re-project on the fly to "my" data coordinate system.  I have tested with loading the Bing service into ArcMap document, and publish as a service on my server with my coodinate system.  It "works", but not very fast (reprojecting a service of a service), and probably violates one or more of the useage agreements.

Anyway, I gave up on Bing maps becase of this.  In fact, by looking at your attachment, it appears as if you have it working correctly if you drop the Bing layers.
Your "chart" says you have loaded Bing maps as dynamic.  Did you actually find a way to do this, or are you just putting type="dynamic" in the layer tag and hoping/thinking it is actually being loaded this way.  Last I knew this was not possible.

So, if you load your layer first, it will set the wkid to the wkid of that layer.  All other layers in the SAME coordinate system can be loaded as tiled(or dynamic) (as long as the tiling scheme is identical), any other services in "another" wkid will have to be loaded as dynamic.  So, that does not leave an option to utilize Bing (tiled only AFAIK) unless you switch your map to mercator, then that is the live coordinates you will get.

R_

R_;

Thanks for your reply.

You are right at the point of dynamic/tiled bing layer. I am thinking that it's loaded as dynamic if I put the tag <type> as dynamic. When I do this the aspect of bing layers change. It appears "pixelated" (loss visual quality) and is loaded at one time (we can't see the tiles loading). It loads slowly too. So for me appears to be loaded thereby. I confess that I have not yet "mastered" this topic.

In fact, how you can see at the "table" attached, the Go To works fine if I have the live coordinates in metric webmercator system. If I have it in WGS84 DD.DD the Go To doesn't work ("error projecting coordinates"). So would be some statement at mxml that converts the coordinates entered at Go To (in DD.DD) and plots it at right site. Am I correct?
In case case it cannot be modified (or even if there's no change to do at mxml), I can instruct my users to ignore the metric webmercator system showed in Live Coordinates (it's too confuse to them) and use the Project tool to get the "right" values in DMS or DD.DD. 'Cause appear to be impossible to conciliate this two things: Live Coordinates in DD.DD and Go To working.

But I guess I'll have to remove the Go To and use the live coordinates as DD.DD, Because this way the AddExcel Widget works fine. If I leave my map at webmercator the coordinates inputted at AddExcel doesn't plot correctly.

What do you think?
Thanks again.
0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor
Jefferson,

Pretty busy this week with work, tuna fishing and all, so not much time to check into this.

When I get a chance I'll play with it a little.  When I tried it in the past, I could not get any Bing to load unless I specified as tiled so definatly got me curious now.

R_
0 Kudos
HakimAbdi
New Contributor II
Hi Drew,

I've got a bit of a predicament. I'm using a base map of the Antarctic in the Universal Polar Stereographic South projection (wkid="32761"), is there a way to show the "Selected Coordinates" box in decimal degrees (lat/long) instead of meters? I don't mind the "Live Coordinates" being in meters.

Thanks!

Cheer,
Hakim

Does no one have a solution for this issue? Help!
0 Kudos
Drew
by
Occasional Contributor III
Does no one have a solution for this issue? Help!

Hakim ,

Currently you can not change the default selected coordinates. I will add it as an enhancement to a future upgrade.

Drew
0 Kudos
MOHD_AIZAT_HISYAMISMAIL1
New Contributor
Hello Everyone,
I created a new widget that you might find useful.
Tucked away in the map context menu are three XY operations

1.     Copy XY
   2.     Project XY (configurable)
   3.     Go To XY

ReadMe.txt included

Hope you find it useful!

Click Here to demo and download the Coordinate Menu Widget

Drew

hi can you teach me how to add RSO Kertau projection into this widget.....
0 Kudos