Browser caching in Flex Viewer 3.1 Application

Jump to solution
02-19-2013 06:43 AM
CynthiaKozma
Occasional Contributor II
I have found a lot of solutions to prevent caching on the client side, but not for Flex Viewer 3.1.  Does anyone know how to disable the client side caching in 3.1.  We are creating an Application that the general public can use, but that I will need to make regular updates to.  For those clients that may use the application repeatedly, I want to make sure that they are always seeing the updated version and not what is cached on their computers.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
The only solutions I have seen documented are all using the uncompiled code.

Regards

Anthony

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor
Take a look at this thread:

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/57121-browser-cache?highlight=disable+cache

should get you going,

R_
0 Kudos
CynthiaKozma
Thank you for the link.  I am really new to using Flex Viewer.  Where would I find the ConfigManager.as, index.template.html and MapMananger.mxml in version 3.1?  So far, I have only had success in finding the Index.html and when I alter that code to have a date/time stamp, there is no difference.
0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor
Yes, the index.html file gets re-written each time you build. 

Changes made to flexviewerfolder/html-template/index.template.html will be incorporated into the index.html on build.

ConfigManager.as - flexviewerfolder/src/com/esri/viewer/managers/ConfigManager.as (MapManager.mxml is in the same folder).

R_
0 Kudos
CynthiaKozma
Rhett,
I think I am making this a lot harder than it is.  I can find those files in an older version that I have loaded on my computer, but not in my current folders.  Are they going to be in the program folder 'ArcGIS Viewer for Flex' or within the application folder on the server side or in a completely different spot that I am not looking in?  Thank you so much for your help!
0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor
They are in the Package Explorer of your project in Flash Builder.

R_
0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
Cynthia,

Are you using the uncompiled  source code? Or the compiled code for the application builder?

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos
CynthiaKozma
Hi Anthony,
Yes, it is a compiled code version of application builder.
0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
The changes mentioned above require you to use the uncompiled code with flash builder,

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos
CynthiaKozma
I was starting to wonder that.  Thanks for your help.  So, do you know, is it a no go to fix the browser caching in the compiled version?  Besides, just doing it manually.
0 Kudos