Select to view content in your preferred language

base layers vs operational layers

08-04-2011 01:38 PM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
Is it possible to have operational layers turned on for one base layer and not another?  I have my addresses and street labels as an operational layer and I want them symbolized differently for the aerial map than the Streets and Topo maps.  I thought the best way is just to cache the Topo and Streets as they will be used less than Aerial and just turn off those operational layers on the map. 

However, even better might be to have specific operational layers for each base map.

I just can't think of a good way to do this.  The only other possibility would be to just have one base layer in a map and have multiple webmaps but that is a huge headache when I can just have multiple basemaps in one webmap.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarcWeinshenker1
Occasional Contributor
What you can do in this case, for instance to have black street labels over the street basemap but white street labels over the aerial basemap, is to put the street labels map services inside the <basemaps> tag and give them the same layer label name as the basemap you want for the combination.  By this I mean give both the streets basemap service and the black street labels service the same layer label "Streets" and give both the aerial service and white street labels service the layer label "Aerial."  When the user selects the Streets basemap they see black labels, and when they select the Aerial basemap they see white labels.  The tradeoff with this configuration is that the user cannot turn off the labels as when they are used as operational layers.

Hope this helps.

Marc
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
Wow, thanks.  I'll have to play around with it next week (because I'll need to create some new map services) but I tried it out and it seems to do the trick.  I might have to do this with several other layers too, will have alot of map services but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get things correct.  It works kind of strange because one basemap is cached and the other is dynamic but it seems to work and as far as the application goes, it appears to not make any difference.  The user just can't turn it off, so I'll have to make it seem like it is part of the basemap. 

Actually, I guess the parcels can't be done this way because I have popups enabled, oh well, they are not the problem, the problem was the address points and the street names which don't need to be identifiable.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
GIS-Cambria
Occasional Contributor II
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to respond to the last part about parcels and pop-ups. You could add the parcel layer in as a feature layer under the operational layers. Then set it's alpha to 0 (invisible) and exclude it from the layers list. This would make it always on but invisible so anywhere a user clicks they will get the parcel info.
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
I decided to forego this process and just use the same labels for all of them.  It isn't worth the hassle to have them look perfect, especially when nobody seems to notice the work you put into the cartography aspects of GIS.  I actually have since stopped using popups all together as it seems Robert's Identify widget is far superior, more customizable and more familiar to end users.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos