Select to view content in your preferred language

Advanced print solution

02-19-2011 10:52 AM
TomSchuller
Occasional Contributor III
Please find in the codegallery my first version of an advanced print solution:
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=6809086326ea4c76bf026a32bb9dd698

The backend is developed in Java as a ServerObjectExtension: PChPrintSOE

The communication to the SOE is realized by the REST.
So, any client can be used Flex, Javascript, ...
I just created a simple FlexWidget.

Some features:
- full print over the rest api (usable by any client)
- export to pdf,jpeg,png,emf and mxd!
- view paper layout extent live on map
- make print on a "template" mapservice by keeping the predefined layout
- multi-mapservices/multi-server support
- add graphics on the map view positioned in map units
- add elements on the layout view positioned in paper units like scalebar, scaletext

The code is under full development:
- support for wms layer
- code clean up and reorganization

Any suggestions, remarques or help is welcome.

Live demo with public Esri mapservices (last print button):
http://gis.pch.etat.lu/flexViewerPrint/
   - use this print widget with your PChPrintSOE-enabled mapservices for high quality
   - draw first some graphics with the DrawWidget prior making your print (in mxd format)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
296 Replies
AngieAllison
New Contributor II
not sure what the url is that you want.  here is the debug file
0 Kudos
AngieAllison
New Contributor II
i was able to put all back to the old version i had running and the scalebar and scaletext were good in the old one.  but not in the new version.  but both have the problem that i emailed you about the gaps in the print that look like maybe cache borders or something??
0 Kudos
MattPohl
Occasional Contributor II
Hi all,

I am working on getting this widget up and running on my site, and judging from the comments and the live sites, it looks like an awesome widget. Nice work Tom. I am on the .NET platform and had no real trouble installing the soe after figuring out the proper syntax. I created an "empty" map service called Layout and can see that it has the supported PCHPrintSOE extension at the REST endpoint. I configured the PchPrintWidget.xml using the url of the Layout service ("https://servername/ArcGIS/rest/services/Layout/Layout/MapServer/exts/PCHPrintSOE/"), and configured the my app's config.xml to hit the widget. But when I click on the widget in my application nothing happens. I get the spinning clock for a couple of seconds, then nothing. Anyone else ran into this? The widget is exactly what my company is looking for (like so many other people), and any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
0 Kudos
TomSchuller

PM
teamworksintl,
could you post or mail (tom@schuller.lu) your debug messages of the widget?

You have to enable debugging in PchPrintWidget.xml.
See here:

http://bitbucket.schuller.lu/pchprintsoe/wiki/ErrorReporting

Thanks,
Tom
0 Kudos
TomSchuller
mburr,
could you open the generated mxd file in ArcMAP?
If ArcMAP also contains the display gabs, just try to you clear your ArcMAP display cache?
   ArcMAP->Menu->Customize->ArcMapOptions->DisplayCache->ClearCache.

If this helped, just do the same as ArcSOC user.

Tom
0 Kudos
AngieAllison
New Contributor II
OK, Got it running properly.  had to do as you suggested and delete the cache on server as the arcsoc user and it cleared up the map !!  this is a great widget. and i appreciate all your help on getting it running.
0 Kudos
MattPohl
Hi Tom,

Thanks for getting back to me. I don't have Flash builder installed on the same box as AGS so I used Fiddler (as suggested by Eric Venden in post #32 on this form). Every time except once I get no traffic reporting back to Fiddler when i call on the Advanced Print Widget. Why would this be? Not installed correctly? I am not sure. The one time it did report the call I captured the url and attached it. Also, when looking at the layout service at the REST endpoint I see three available extensions: PCHPrintSOE   PCHPrintSOEv101   PCHExportSOE. When I click on the PCHPrintSOEv101 it comes back as invailed url. I have attached a screen shot of this. Any ideas would be of great help; its much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
0 Kudos
TomSchuller
t

eamworksintl,
you should use the PChPrintSOE.

The PchPrintSOE101 is a special version for ArcGIS Server 10.1

Could you post/mail the verbose ArcGIS server log if you still have problems with the PChPrintSOE extension?

Tom

0 Kudos
MattPohl
Hi Tom,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have been using the PCHPrintSOE and it is what I am having trouble with; just was curious what the PCHPrintSOEv101 was, now it make sense. I have posted my server log, and the url again from Fiddler when the Advance Print Widget was able to be called the one time. Again thanks for working with me on this.

Matt
0 Kudos
TomSchuller
Matt,
your arcgis server isn't getting any request from the widhet.

Could you check if the "printurl" is correctly configure in the PChprintWidget.xml?
Maybe it's using an older version from your browser cache.

Tom
0 Kudos