Select to view content in your preferred language

Medium Non-Capital Cities Not Displaying at Small Scale

08-31-2022 11:34 AM
ArielLow2146
Occasional Contributor II

I've noticed with the majority of default Esri basemaps that the cities displayed in Oregon at small scales don't make sense from a city population size perspective. Medford is consistently shown even though Eugene and Bend both have larger populations.

ArielLow2146_0-1661970552799.png

I went into the vector tile editor to try to change this and am struggling to figure out how. From what I can tell the cities I want to be able to see are medium non-capital cities and should be showing at this scale based on the visibility range.

ArielLow2146_1-1661970700361.png

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I might be missing?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KevinFreibergerJA
New Contributor

I am wondering this same thing. I am trying to display less populated areas at a fixed scale but only appear to be able to change font size of the existing labels and toggle visibility on/off.

0 Kudos
ArielLow2146
Occasional Contributor II

@KevinFreibergerJA I haven't gotten an official answer but everything I've found so far has indicated that unfortunately this is not possible. There are a few work arounds:

1. Creating a custom basemap - this one is my least favorite as it seems incredibly time consuming
  2. Turning off visibility for the cities in the basemap and adding a cities feature layer that is styled similarly and has the desired visible scale range - this isn't ideal from a performance/loading perspective and adds another layer to the map but is a relatively quick fix with a living atlas layer
  3. Using JSON editing to add your own tile layer to one of the default basemaps - @TommyFauvell has a YouTube Video on this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxfXdDVOKEA this option is more work than option two but way less work than option one so it seems like a good middle ground
Advanced Vector Tile Style Editing 🗺 For those times when you want to push the envelope with what is possible with vector tile basemaps, and you reach the limit of what is possible with the Vector Tile Style Editor...there are some things we need to talk about. And for those of you that are ...